Hello Guest

Anvil Install Questions....

• 4 Replies

Offline ksa421

Anvil Install Questions....
« on: January 19, 2016, 03:53:10 PM »
Long story short, the ole Kick is getting rescued from life as a lawn ornament.  I am trying to finish up some projects on the Kick before I get it driven up north to Alaska. This Calmini Anvil that has been sitting in the corner of the shop for 5+ years.

Are all 1999-04 GV manual transmission third V6 members steel? I read the article and all available topics I could find and still a bit confused. Also XL-7 third members are essentially the same? But you have to use the XL-7 mounting bracket as well, is this correct? Is there a benefit to the XL-7 over the GV? One of the reasons for my question here is I am pricing out used third members and the prices vary from $160-& $500 and I am up north looking at parts in OR. I just want to make sure I buy the right part.

I should be able to use this locker correct? I am looking a the 26 spline version.
http://www.trailtough.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=169&category_id=46&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53
Using my stock gears will need to use a center pin retaining ring correct?

Uber simplified version of install: Yank old housing and "stuff" out. Install locker & carrier with my stock Kick gears into third member. Put all back together

Man, I used to know all this stuff like the back of my hand.... Ha! just want to make sure I got this lined out before I hand a pile of parts over to the mechanic. It's good to be back looking at Zuki stuff, even if my bank account doesn't agree....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 04:03:34 PM by ksa421 »
'90 Kick, Calmini 6" lift, 32x10.50 Pro Comps, Calmini bumper, 8000lb winch, 1.6l VW TD;

Offline skitime

Re: Anvil Install Questions....
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 09:16:21 AM »
Man, I used to know all this stuff like the back of my hand.... Ha! just want to make sure I got this lined out before I hand a pile of parts over to the mechanic. It's good to be back looking at Zuki stuff, even if my bank account doesn't agree....

I run an Anvil with an ARB locker.  You are correct, yank out the old diff, install new locker and reinstall the new bits.  My only concern would be running a non switchable locker on the front but I know lots of guys do it successfully.

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• Redline... all the time!
    • www.rpm4x4.com
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 07:07:32 AM »
V6 5 speeds have a steel diff
If your not living life to the fullest then your not living at all.

You wont really know if your wrong till your upsidedown

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 08:24:09 AM »

I run an Anvil with an ARB locker.  You are correct, yank out the old diff, install new locker and reinstall the new bits.  My only concern would be running a non switchable locker on the front but I know lots of guys do it successfully.
I do agree with skitime, But your bank account will really be screaming if an ARB is thrown in the mix.
Last weekend I came off a really steep climb onto a curve on blacktop.  While my ARB's were engaged it was impossible to turn.  Flip a couple switches and run straight for a few feet and easy to turn again. 
IMO do not put another locker or spool in back also, a limited slip would be ok (because it should slip when turning).  With both ends locked on a hard grippable surface and it will just want to push straight ahead. 
With your hubs disengaged (for road travel) there would not be an issue as both are free from drive train. 
Ifthe locker was in back you would have to put up with the  issues of how the locker works all the time.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline ksa421

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 11:43:39 AM »
I finally sourced a GV steel 3rd member. They actually sold me the whole front diff with 3rd member. Also low and behold the random rear third member I had laying around was a rear sami one w/ locker... I guess that what happens when projects get sidelined for years, you forget what is what sitting on the shelf.

Thanks for the help and refresher course! The Ole Kick will be heading north to AK next week!
'90 Kick, Calmini 6" lift, 32x10.50 Pro Comps, Calmini bumper, 8000lb winch, 1.6l VW TD;