Hello Guest

Weber 32/36 DGAV starving for fuel

• 25 Replies

Offline harpingeorge

• Harpin!
Re: Weber 32/36 DGAV starving for fuel
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 08:10:53 PM »
Yeah, I had thought doing that. Might end up just doing that. It's been over 40  years but I've done it before.
88 Suzuki Samurai, 6.5:1 Trail Gear T-Case, Stage 2 clutch, Weber 32/36 Carb (problematic). Everything else is stock.

Offline Capt

• LIFT IT ! .......Fat Chicks CAN'T JUMP !!
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 06:26:53 AM »
Yep, I have the 3rd hole gasket, can see it thru vent.
I will let it go for now till I find a gasket. I have cut many a gaskets.
I have leather hole punches, Hammer Cutter punches up to 1 inch,
and  3 styles Xacto knives, and just a little patience,
and a full vocabulary of compound cussing....LOL

Offline harpingeorge

• Harpin!
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 06:33:46 AM »
Yeah, I may have to do that if I can't find the right one on line.
88 Suzuki Samurai, 6.5:1 Trail Gear T-Case, Stage 2 clutch, Weber 32/36 Carb (problematic). Everything else is stock.

Offline Jonny Rash

• Too many Samurais, too little time
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 07:27:05 AM »
George,
I think I bought mine on eBay. I saw two posts for just the top cover gasket alone.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-top-cover-gasket-repair-rebuild-for-Weber-DG-DGV-DGAV-32-36-/291518293609?nav=SEARCH

You may also find the appropriate gasket in a rebuild kit.

Personally, I think the Weber carbs get an unjustified bad rap.  They are easy to work on and troubleshoot.  It's not like the Harley carbs do not come with their own set of issues.

I would lower your float back down to slightly below spec and run a fuel pressure regulator. For the extreme hills of Moab, you could also mount the carb backwards. Just have some patience and tweak it accordingly.   
25+ years of Samurai ownership!

Online fordem

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 11:53:42 AM »
For the extreme hills of Moab, you could also mount the carb backwards.

All this does is shift the problem from uphill to downhill (or vice-versa).
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Jonny Rash

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 01:52:29 PM »
Yes, but you can actually ascend a hill vs not being able to climb it all and stuck on the trail.  When you get to the bottom of a steep descent you can clear the carb out after a few seconds of cranking the engine.

Moab has some extremely steep ascents, and while there are some steep descents too, you can control your descent rate through engine braking/low gearing (high revs), and wheel braking. That is, you can easily go down a hill with the engine running rich and running poorly.  Not so much the other way around.

Offline Capt

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 06:21:47 AM »
Yes, but you can actually ascend a hill vs not being able to climb it all and stuck on the trail.  When you get to the bottom of a steep descent you can clear the carb out after a few seconds of cranking the engine.

Moab has some extremely steep ascents, and while there are some steep descents too, you can control your descent rate through engine braking/low gearing (high revs), and wheel braking. That is, you can easily go down a hill with the engine running rich and running poorly.  Not so much the other way around.

The Hard Thing is to Climb a Mountain,
It's easy to get down, Just Fall Off.... LOL

Offline Jonny Rash

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 07:50:55 AM »
Yes, you can still use engine braking even with the engine sputtering & stumbling, or even when the engine is shut off.  Therefore, you can still control your descent and not just rely on your brakes.

Offline harpingeorge

• Harpin!
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 11:35:20 AM »
Many thanks to all for the comments.  Especially many thanks to Bud Pauge of RedLine.  I reached out to them a couple weeks back and Bud responded within hours.  Bud was outstanding at helping me diagnose and adjust things right.  I shot a few photos of the carb to him and a list of all of my jet sizes and he immediately made recommendations and noted my power valve was wrong.  It was missing a spring.  The new power valve made all the difference in the world.

I still have a bit of a linkage problem that's causing intermittent problems but I ran some pretty heavy duty trails in the Moab area all last week without a flaw.  6.5 gears & a well adjusted carburetor and the Sammi kicked butt!!  Piles of compliments from strangers in their $50,000+ jeeps. 

Ran with my son is his TJ and my son-in-law in his.  They both had a couple issues with high centering on obstacles and some minor trail damage.  The Sammi plowed right through with only a minor bent rear bumper from stepping off of a two foot ledge too fast.

Offline Jonny Rash

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 08:45:24 AM »
George,
Do you have a lift now?

Offline Capt

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2016, 08:42:03 AM »
Hey Glad to see you got it running right !!

Sorry I haven't been on site for awhile....
I just finished the winter lay up rebuild of the "Timber Cruiser"
I impressed even myself when I went to start it for the first time,
It STARTED on the FIRST CRANK !!!
Just had to adjust the Mix Screw 1/3 turn in, move timing 2 degrees, then bring the Idle set down 300 RPM.
All this on a New(r) engine, rebuilt Weber Carb, swapped distributor.........