Hello Guest

Will not start and I am stumped.....FIXED!!!!

• 35 Replies

Offline hwyman

Will not start and I am stumped.....FIXED!!!!
« on: March 24, 2016, 02:47:42 PM »
I am working on a 94 2 dr 4 wd Tracker 1.6l 8v
About 6 weeks ago on my way home from work my tracker just died like I had switched off the key. I tried to start it using starting fluid and it would not start. I did a compression test and everything was around 80-90  so thinking the gear on the crank had slipped again I pulled evrything apart like I did about 3 yrs ago and the keyway repair was still in good shape so I put everything back in place with a new timing belt and set everything to #4 cylinder. Still would not start.
So i put the checked for spark at the spark plugs and have no spark there
I tried to get the CEL to flash the codes and it would not flash so I thought ok the ecu is bad so I picked up a used one and got it installed. No flashing CEL and still not starting
I checked for voltage at the coil and I have 11.98 V coming into the coil
I checked the resistance of the coil and the primary resistance was higher than spec so I replaced it under warranty. No start
I had the ignition module tested and it tested good. Still no start
I replaced the crank sensor in the distributor no start and no spark at plugs
I replaced the distributor cap and rotor button. No start and mot spark at plugs
I pulled everything back apart and dbl checked that I had the timing set correctly   No spark and no start
I have checked the ignition fuse about a dozen times and it is not blown

I am stumped what else to check

Please help

Travis
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 06:12:20 AM by hwyman »
1994 Geo Tracker  2dr 4wd 1.6l 8v Manual Trans

Online fordem

Re: Will not start and I am stumped
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 03:39:21 PM »
I tried to get the CEL to flash the codes and it would not flash so I thought ok the ecu is bad so I picked up a used one and got it installed. No flashing CEL and still not starting

THIS is where you start ...

Does the CEL come on when you turn the key on - if not - find out why & fix it.

Diagrams are available at Acks' FAQ.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline hwyman

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »
Yes the CEL light does come on but will not flash codes

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 05:52:33 PM »
There's a switch under the dash, somewhere near the left speaker, find it & flip it and then try again - if you're not getting at the very least a code 12, you have an ECU or ECU related problem.

There car has a feature that brings the CEL on every 50,000 miles or so to remind you to have the emissions control system checked, and that switch turns the light back off.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 07:25:08 AM »
Yes the CEL light does come on but will not flash codes

Did you jumper the plug by battery?   On 1991-1996 (and later?) sidekick/tracker models insert a jumper wire between the number two and three terminals of the Check connector adjacent to the battery (see illustration). Turn the ignition key on, and read the diagnostic code (the Check Engine light will blink).
Normal system operation is code twelve, (1 flash, pause two flashes)., and will blink one time only.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline hwyman

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 08:51:56 AM »
Yes I did djump at the connector.
With the stock ecu when I had the switch under the dash pushed to one side the CEL light would come on but not flash when I pushed it to the other side the CEL would not come on at all. So thinking I had a bad ecu I purchased a used one and when I jump the connector beside the battery the CEL comes on but does not flash. I am not 100% positive I tried the switch in both positions with the new to me ecu. I will stop by my mother in laws house (where I had it towed to) after work and dbl check the position of the switch and if the CEL does the same thing as the stock ecu

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 01:56:18 PM »
If the CEL doesn't flash then there is a problem with the ECU or the wiring to it. Its possible that you have a bad connection to the monitor coupler (diagnostic connector). Do you hear any relays clicking when you turn on the ignition?
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline kreator

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 09:31:16 AM »
mine did the same thing and I sent the ECM out and had it rebuilt by a guy in Ohio
BOB | www.KreationFab.com | 503-689-1377

Offline hwyman

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 03:01:24 PM »
Finally had a chance to stop by my tracker today and if I put the jumper in at the connector beside the battery and crank the engine for 5 seconds or so the CEL comes on but does not flash. Turn the key off and slide the switch under the dash to the other side and crank the engine for 5 seconds or so the CEL does not come on nor does it flash. It did the same thing with the stock ecu and the ecu that I bought used.
Does this point to 2 bad ecus?   
Is there a definative test to do to rule out the ecu or do I just send my stock ecu off to be fixed and hope it is the cause?

I may have a line on an ecu from a 94 2door 2wd tracker from a running engine. Will the 2wd exu work in my 4wd tracker?

Online fordem

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 05:33:49 AM »
Under normal circumstances ...

1) Key on, engine off, no jumper, no cranking - CEL should be on, goes off after engine start.
2) Key on, engine off, jumper in, no cranking - CEL should be flashing.

If the CEL remains on after engine start, there is either a code set or the "service engine soon" (SES) system has flipped over - this is when you insert the jumper and count the flashes as in #2 above.  If the CEL stays on rather than flashing, you reset the SES by flipping the slide switch, and then the CEL should flash, count them, if it's a code 12 (no problem detected), pull the jumper, service the engine and continue.

From what you say, it seems like the only way you get the CEL on is with the switch - this suggests either a defective ECU or an ECU wiring related issue.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline hwyman

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 08:22:37 AM »
mine did the same thing and I sent the ECM out and had it rebuilt by a guy in Ohio

Do you have contact information for the guy that did yours?

Offline kreator

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 08:32:39 AM »
his name is David Ruberg
 Speedometer Repair Guy
123 Sarnia St
Winona Mn 55987
507-429-4489
  It took about  a week and I think it   was about $90
BOB | www.KreationFab.com | 503-689-1377

Offline hwyman

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 07:38:50 AM »
ok here is what I have done recently
I purchased a running parts vehicle. same year etc as mine
I started swapping parts from the running vehicle over to mine so far I have changed:
the ignition module
coil
distributor
fuse block under the hood  mine was corroded
ecu

still does not start and the same story on the CEL no flash..with the switch on one side it will come on and stay on with the key turned  slide the switch to the other side the light does not come on or flash.

so it appears that I need to download the wiring diagram and see if that helps any
or find a mechanic

Offline hwyman

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 10:45:21 AM »
Is there a relay that controls the ECU?
if so where is it located?

Offline bandit86

• elv8rguy
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 07:34:29 PM »
Just for giggles, look Dow the oil filler to see if the cam shaft is turning,  then look under the distributor to see if that's turning. 

But no CEL means computer not ready.  Check fuses, all your engine and body grounds.  Do any other ignition lights come on? I had a bad ignition key contact on a 95 once.  The car didn't know it was supposed to be on. My 98 also had a slightly bad ignition switch.  Maybe find a switched 12 volt circuit and check to see if you have it.
TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO JEEP HAS GONE BEFORE!