Hello Guest

91 sidekick starts then instantly dies

• 10 Replies

Offline AHall

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
91 sidekick starts then instantly dies
« on: April 17, 2016, 02:55:08 PM »
Hi, I have a 1991 suzuki sidekick with the 1.6 engine. It is a mud toy and last weekend I hit a hole and water came into the cab. It stalled out.

Problem I am having is it will start and instantly die. When we first pulled it out it would not even turn over,  tapped the starter and it is turning over now, however now it will not stay running longer than one to two seconds.

Put new plugs in, new fuel pump relay, checked ecu and don't think water got that high as connections at same height are dry. Air intake was dry, distributor cap good, Fuse box under dash did get wet and muddy. Checked fuel pump and it's getting pressure. At a loss now, any advice what to check/fix?

Just checked code and CEL throwing 22 (TPS) and then it's showing 12 (No fault). Hitting the gas does nothing euther.

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:42:30 PM by AHall »

Offline DOWNEASTER

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: 91 sidekick starts then instantly dies
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 05:30:31 PM »
I have the same issue,went mud'n before parking it in my garage for the winter but when i went to start it(week ago),the starter was gone.i changed it out with a new one.now damn thing will start and run for 2/3 seconds.no codes.i am stumped.HELP guys..

Offline AHall

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 06:00:10 PM »
Also hitting the gas does absolutely nothing

Offline DOWNEASTER

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 03:06:32 AM »
Try unplugn your M.A.F. sensor.That was the issue with mine. On my last outing it sucked up some muddy water in threw the M.A.F. then sat all winter.Darn thing was only 2 months old too.

Offline bandit86

• elv8rguy
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 06:39:28 AM »
Water under the distributor cap? 

If hitting the throttle does nothing then pull the connector off and using an ohm meter check for continuity between the pins, one should get higher as you move throttle the other lower. 

If fuses under the dash got wet, did the ecu get wet too?
TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO JEEP HAS GONE BEFORE!

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 10:03:27 AM »
Try unplugn your M.A.F. sensor.That was the issue with mine. On my last outing it sucked up some muddy water in threw the M.A.F. then sat all winter.Darn thing was only 2 months old too.
I had a similar issue, in that if MAF Sensor is connected (and functioning), but not in the intake airflow, it will only run a few seconds.  I frequently have removed the inlet air hose between MAF Sensor and Throttle Body, so that is one of my first checks.  It will run fine without the MAF Sensor connected electronically, but will not run w/o indicated airflow from a functioning MAF Sensor.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline AHall

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 10:06:40 AM »
Ok so I have the whole intake tube off actually..where is the maf sensor?

Offline ranger88den

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 07:23:18 AM »
No MAF on an 8v.

Offline AHall

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 07:25:25 AM »
Yeah that's what I read..only 16th correct? Think maybe there is water in tps. Been flooding in Houston area so not able to work on it just yet. Well update when I figure it out. Thanks for all the tips and ideas guys! Have a few things left to try.

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 07:59:07 AM »
No MAF on an 8v.
I was just going to stand corrected on that.  The 8 valves are running on Manifold Air Pressure.
I would look at the TPS if it is still throwing that code.  Did the computer get submerged also?
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline AHall

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 08:00:57 AM »
Not surged but definitely got some mud and water in it. However it's throwing codes which people are telling me typically if it's throwing codes usually ecu is still good. Some silicone will be in order before the next ride.