Hello Guest

My first ( and last) rocky - road body lift purchase

• 7 Replies

Offline bandit86

• elv8rguy
My first ( and last) rocky - road body lift purchase
« on: May 27, 2016, 07:34:04 PM »
Kit seems fairly well made.   Not much too it.  179 bucks and I sprang for the steering extension. 

The front 2 bolts are missing from the kit.  I spent an hour trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong as the instruction only had the 2nd, 4th and 5th body mount pictured.   Called them  yep, missing bolts.  No problem. But remember this.  Mounts are in, truck still leaning to the passenger side.  I get started on the the steering kit.   The instructions say anybody competent should be able to install it.  Thanks.   So I got started.  Couldn't figure out why I had 2 extra little bolts.  Seems somebody did a number count of items in the bad, instead of giving me the front mount bolts they gave me 2 extra steering bolts.  Assembled.  No good, took it apart.  Assembled no good, took it apart.   The sleeve and threaded insert are different length,  maybe on purpose, but the entire assemble stays loose.  Something is 1/4 inch too long and even with all the hardware tight, the rag joint is loose.  Tomorrow, I shall make it like I think it should have been made.

And last but not least, they only ship UPS ground.   UPS truck shows up, thr guy wants 97 bucks COD.  Apparently UPS likes to charge exorbitant amounts for brokerage. 

I got 2 short pieces of brake lines, what are they for?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 09:19:30 PM by bandit86 »
TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO JEEP HAS GONE BEFORE!

Offline beagle..t

Re: My first ( and last) rocky - road body lift purchase
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 07:38:21 AM »
brake line extensions so that they can stay in the same spot they are now, but I never used them. watch the pass side when lifting body there are a bunch of hoses on the inner fender
new rig aka "the mule" 2002 tracker
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Offline bandit86

• elv8rguy
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 10:44:34 AM »
The brake line has a funny connection in the wheel well.  Is it maybe for the rear line down to the frame, then the frame to the diff?

Offline bandit86

• elv8rguy
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 07:10:36 AM »
After close examination of the steering extension I'm sure that it will never work properly.   There is nothing to put tension on the long factory bolt.  After a while, from all the twisting, it will loosen up and the steering will get sloppy. To counteract this I milled the original short bushing down a few thousandth to fit into the rocky-road sleeve.  Now this bushing puts pressure on the threaded insert, which bottoms out again the plate.  Feels much safer now.

Offline beagle..t

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 07:13:04 PM »
if I remember ..I think I got mine from mudchild  here in Canada b.c but I haven't heard anything from him in a long while
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Offline Perryd

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 06:27:02 AM »
if I remember ..I think I got mine from mudchild  here in Canada b.c but I haven't heard anything from him in a long while

I tried and tried to get in touch with him over a year ago for the front dif brace, no luck. The website is down now as well. I got a pan hard bar extension from him a few years ago. the workmanship was impressive. I hope he is ok, and if he ever sees this please come back and take my money :).
1998 Tracker 2 door soft top, 3spd auto, 4x4, 215/57R15 BFG A/T, bone stock.

Offline beagle..t

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 07:37:32 PM »
lol  :laugh: ya I got the pan hard from too and the body lift. Use to have his ph number but have lost it in phone switching. might want to try funinbc forum he is on there too, but then again I haven't seen him on there

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 04:28:45 PM »
lol.
 I would never buy anything from RR. I called them to enquire about shipping, and they will ONLY ship via UPS. As you found out, with UPS, we canuks take it up the ass when delivery day comes.

Trail tough, Low Range, Myron, Petroworks, and Roadless Gear.......all good guys, all ship via USPS.