Hello Guest

Replacing the AC Compressor for the Sport

• 2 Replies

Offline rasmeidirtrider

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Replacing the AC Compressor for the Sport
« on: May 28, 2016, 07:26:41 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am planning to replace the A/C compressor for my Sport. The old one does not produce enough coolness anymore. Are there any other issues to look into when putting the new compressor?

Today I have times to get the car checked for the numbers at a proper workshop to evaluate the current condition of the AC.

- The high pressure side is 200psi
- The low pressure side is 45psi
- The vent temperature is 8C
- The temperature outside of the car is 33C.

Note: All these numbers are measured under the roof of the workshop. During the check, the acceleration is increased periodically. The temperature in the sun outside may be over 40C!!!!

They also confirmed the compressor gets weaker and weaker and should be changed along with the condenser and the drier bottle.
I need the second opinions before deciding to replace the compressor!
'96 (07/95) US imported Sidekick Sport, 16V, 1.8L, 4 auto, 4x4, 4dr, A/C, ABS, 100K miles, VIN: JS3TD21V6T4101985, bone stock, except 215/70R/16.

Offline nprecon

• ONWARD... through the fog!
Re: Replacing the AC Compressor for the Sport
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 11:03:34 PM »
"Does not produce enough coolness anymore..." ???

Is your AC clutch actually locked up?  Does your AC system cool at all... or does it simply need to be recharged and maybe a fitting or "O" ring replaced?  Recharging the AC system and repairing a leaking AC line doesn't have the profit margin in it that replacing the entire compressor has.

If the clutch is fine and the compressor is still able to hold pressure and kicks on and off properly, I'd want to know if your AC system could be recharged and still function first.  Don't be afraid to get a second opinion from another shop either.  Replacing the compressor, drier AND recharging your system will run anywhere from $500 to $700 at a rip-off shop and if they don't install it correctly, it will fail within a few months, maybe a year.

IMHO, there are several of the "BIG NAME" national repair shops out there that make their living on convincing "their" customers that something "needs to be replaced/repaired".  In my opinion, these places are rip-off artists who prey on those who don't understand the mechanicals of their vehicle, particularity women and the elderly.  A couple of them start with the letter "M". 

They make their money on parts mark-ups and their labor just like normal repair shops do, only their margins are higher.  Just because a guy works at a repair shop and has a tool box doesn't make them an expert (or honest) mechanic anymore than me wearing a speedo at the beach makes me a swim suit model. :laugh:  I am awesome in a speedo, though.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 11:53:39 PM by nprecon »
'02 Chezuki Tracker with a 2 Liter and 5spd.  It works for me!!!

Online fordem

Re: Replacing the AC Compressor for the Sport
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 06:23:14 AM »
I'm no expert, and the numbers mean nothing to me (you can post the question over at the Suzuki forum, Max over there knows his a/c stuff), but like Norm, I suspect you're being ripped off - the system may not be working efficiently, but, I don't see it as being a faulty compressor.

Is there enough airflow through the condenser?
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny