Hello Guest

2.3L conversion to 95 Geo Tracker 2dr

• 10 Replies

Offline Jstr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
2.3L conversion to 95 Geo Tracker 2dr
« on: June 29, 2016, 07:29:27 PM »
Well its about time to stop researching and bite the bullet to get the swap started.

I am starting with a nice clean rust free 95 Tracker Auto.
I did pickup a complete 2000 Tracker 2.0L Auto 4dr as the donor for this swap. Complete engine wiring and ECM from 2004 Aerie Auto.
Other than the tranny and wiring, is there anything else worth swapping over like riffs or suspension parts.  I will be using the disks and callipers to do a 4 wheel disk setup but that's it so far. Curious if can somehow get the cruise and A/C to swap in?
Love to hear advice and options. Most of the work will be at a friends shop, so will try and get photos of progression. Looking to start towards end of July.

Thanks
Paul
1995 Sidekick 2dr soft top with 2.3L auto swap.
2002 Tracker 2dr soft top - bone stock.

Offline BRD HNTR

Re: 2.3L conversion to 95 Geo Tracker 2dr
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 06:46:06 AM »
You are mixing a lot of electrical components, so I hope you are really good at reading electrical wiring diagrams.  While the Aerio Engine wiring and ecm can be fitted to the 2000 Tracker 2.0, there are differences in the engine mapping algorithms and peripheral equipment.  Having the ECM from an automatic means that you have to have an automatic transmission and TCM that communicates on can bus that agree to communicate, or you will have a standing communication failure alarm.  Without communication between the two controllers, at least the TCM will be in limp home mode with no TCC lockup and no OD.  While you can drive around with a known standing alarm, you will have no additional notice of other alarms that comes in.   
Cruise control would be an easy swap in, if the Aerio ECM supports it. 
Are you planning on complete wiring swap?
If you have a complete 2000 Tracker, why are you throwing in the Aerio ECM and wiring?
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Jstr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 07:13:11 AM »
Yes, while I personally I'm not good at wiring, the friends shop I'm doing it at is very proficient at wiring.  He is the electrical part of the swap, I am the sheet metal and fab part. I know I have so much less to do. Lol.

The wrecker I got the 2.3l from was ready to crush the car, they said they would pull everything for me. If I don't use it no harm. Paid $400 CAD for complete engine, accessorises, wiring and ECU.  My plan of attack was to install the 2.3 in the tracker get it all ruining and happy, then move it into the 95. Most likely will be the wiring from the 2.0 as I like simple. Also have collected the FSM for the 3 vehicles.

Original plan was just the 2.0l swap but for the price of the 2.3l it was a cheap extra 30hp and 20ish torque. Both engine are in need of a major tune up and will do Timing just cause its out and easy.

Excellent points BRD HNTR, and thank you, it solidifies my thoughts of use mostly the donor tracker.
Any thought on if its worth swapping the newer diffs in or is that a nightmare?
Love your V6 swap, maybe once the 2.3l dies I will look at that route again.

Offline Jstr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 07:37:53 AM »
Well, after gathering all the parts and getting things setup, the 2.3L is finally located in the engine bay of my 95.  Running the auto from the 2000 Tracker along with the accessories needed for the application. Main harness mods done by Tough Trail and then rest done locally. Keeping the auto has been the toughest part electronically, kept overdrive but didn't feel the power switch was worth the effort. 
The truck is running and shifting, all that is left is run it through the gears and make sure it all talks and works smoothly.  Re arranged a few things under the hood and custom brackets for the 2.0L radiator. Little cutting to get the hood to close but looks good in there.
Couple of pictures to show everything back in place under the hood.

Offline beagle..t

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 08:36:48 AM »
glad to see that its all together. do you notice a big power difference? did you fab new motor mounts?
new rig aka "the mule" 2002 tracker
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Offline Jstr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 09:06:25 AM »
I haven't driven it yet. Still at my friends shop, buttoning up the electronics.  Will be next week before I get a chance to get behind the wheel. Need to fix a fuel line leak and some other little stuff.
As for mounts bought the 2.0L mounts from Trail Tough, worked perfect with the 2.3L.
Not the clearest shot but here's a pic from under. The nice clean black mount stands out a bit.

As for power gains, I'm sure that it will be noticeable going from 1.6L to the hybrid 2.0L/2.3L.
1.6L 8V is 80hp and 94 tq
2.0L is 127 hp and 134 tq
2.3L is 155 hp and 152 tq
The engine is 2.3L block, head, intake. 2.0L oil pan, injectors, fuel rail, accessories, computer, harness.
The 2002 4 speed was an easy physical fit but interesting to wire in, only major modification was a custom length rear drive shaft.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 09:08:53 AM by Jstr »

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 12:07:04 AM »
Nice creative work.
I am sure your going to be happy with the changes.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Jstr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 11:28:16 PM »
Finally got out and put some miles on the Tracker.  There is definitely better power than the stock 8v, I would say it is a little peppier than my 2002 2.0l Vitara conv't.  Few little glitches to iron out in get the old talking to the new electronics. Plus developed a pinion seal leak so time to address that too. It definitely does not pull like any of the V6 swaps I have driven, but it is a much more straight forward change.  If I were to do it again I think I would still go this route. Plus have some ideas on how to simplify the swap if I get ambitious or another tin top model.  The gains are worth the effort and I'm hoping the MPG is similar to my Vitara, which is way better than my SUV.  The truck feels like she has more than enough power to run bigger tires, even with my auto's 4.30 gears. Need to pick which suspension to use before I get bigger shoes.

More updates as I get more miles into her. Also need to find the source of a new rattle, buddy discovered on one of his runs that I wasn't able to duplicate in mine. Hats off to Trail Tough for the harness and speedo work, agreed manual would have been much simpler. Maybe on the next one LOL. And of course, thanks to you folks for hints and advise as I got this build information ready to go.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 02:34:25 PM »
The manual is pretty simple, just needs a new flywheel.  :D

What did you do for the exhaust?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Jstr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 07:55:50 PM »
For the exhaust, I used the 2.0L exhaust manifold and cat. Rest is the stock 1995 intermediate pipe and muffler.
I will eventually replace it with a high flow exhaust and cat but for now it works great.

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 09:40:06 PM »
Hi Jstr,

I'm about to swap a 2.3 (A/T) into my '98 Tracker (5spd). You mention you used custom brackets for the radiator. Could you provide more info on those? May be a few pics? I'm afraid I don't have fabrication tools and I might have to get them done at a machine shop. Are they easy to make?

Thanks.
Own: 1998 Chevy Tracker, 1.6L, 16v, 5spd, 4x4, 2dr, soft top
Previously owned: 1990 Geo Tracker, 1.6L, 8v, 5spd, 4x4, 2dr, soft top