Hello Guest

Is it possible to make the Samurai highway safe?

• 6 Replies

Offline antoneeyuh

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Is it possible to make the Samurai highway safe?
« on: July 21, 2016, 09:33:34 AM »
Hi there, new user here.

I love the Suzuki Samurai and really want to get one, but I'm concerned about the rumors of it being easily rolled because of the lightness and dimensions of the vehicle. I live in a desert and want a capable off-road vehicle that can be used as a daily driver as well.

- Assuming that these rumors are true, is it possible to modify the vehicle in such a way that it will be safer on a highway, i.e. less likely to roll?
- Is it possible to make it heavier?
- Would adding something like a roll cage to it make it wider on the sides and create a more stable center of gravity?

I planned on putting a better engine in it, so as far as not being able to get to highway speeds, that isn't my concern.

- If none of these things are possible and it can't be made any safer, is it possible to take the Suzuki Samurai's headlights and put them on a Suzuki Sidekick instead? I just love the Sami's front end way more than the Sidekick's.

Thank you.

Offline Jonny Rash

• Too many Samurais, too little time
Re: Is it possible to make the Samurai highway safe?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 01:08:03 PM »
Lots of strange, "out there" questions, but I will bite.   :laugh:

There is nothing wrong with how the Samurai handles up to around 70mph, although they are more suitable to cruising around 60mph.  If you plan to drive faster, then I would look at a different, car-like vehicle for fast highway driving.  As far as rollovers, I've been driving a Samurai for nearly 30 years now, and I have never rolled one.  It is all about knowing your vehicle, and risk management.

The Sidekick is more highway friendly than a Samurai, but it is still a relatively crude vehicle by modern standards.  Also, in my humble opinion when compared to the Samurai, the Sidekick makes compromises in favor of street performance over offroad ruggedness and ground clearance.  (I do own/drive a Sidekick.)  I do not think it is possible to exchange the front end sheetmetal between the Samurai and Sidekick as they are completely different vehicles.

If you want something heaving and wider, then I would suggest looking at a newer Jeep.  The are considerably wider and longer than a Samurai, and that makes their handling more forgiving in terms or rollovers.  However, they are not known for their good highway driving manners either.  One cannot simply bend or break basic laws of physics. 

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 01:11:02 PM by Jonny Rash »
25+ years of Samurai ownership!

Offline antoneeyuh

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 01:51:12 PM »
Thank you for the reply!

I don't plan on *speeding* but it would be nice to be able to pass vehicles if need be. lol Either way, I'll end up upgrading the engine just so it's got a little bit more horsepower. The car I drive now only has 105 HP and I'm fine with that.

As far as stability goes, I would like to somehow widen the axel. I looked up wheel spacers that are supposed to help with that, and maybe wider tires in general. I don't know the complications of widening an axel. I just have concerns about it being unsafe is all. I drive an ambulance for a living and I've seen some shit in my day. I'm a cautious driver in general so I really don't expect to roll a vehicle, but you never know.

I just don't want a Jeep at all. The gas mileage is ridiculous.

But I want to break the laws of physics. :(

Offline Jonny Rash

• Too many Samurais, too little time
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 06:34:33 PM »
There is nothing wrong with the stock Samurai width. They are a lot more stable than Consumer Reports made them out to be.  Nothing needs to be modified to make it a relatively safe road vehicle. That is why the government sided with Suzuki and refused to make Suzuki recall the Samurai.

Watch this video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Bv9WL3vpY

Basically, Consumer Reports wanted to make the Samurai flip, and they developed a "test" just for the Samurai.  However, to make the Samurai tip up the test driver literally had to make a u-turn in both directions at 40 something mph. Again, I have nearly 30 years behind the wheel of a Samurai, and they are very stable for what they are. Hell, I've even driven them on the highway for days on end and coast to coast across the US several times. I even drove one on the German Autobahn at 80+mph. They do get a little dicey at that speed though. Again, keep it around 60mph and there will not be any problems. :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 06:58:51 PM by Jonny Rash »
25+ years of Samurai ownership!

Offline El Gato Diablo

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 08:16:03 PM »
Agree.  I fought mine and was tentative around corners at first.  In all realize it's as stable as a jeep or any other SUV. Know your limitations and stay within them - you will be fine.  I've been surprised what my little Sammy will handle. 

Offline antoneeyuh

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 08:21:33 PM »
That's awesome to hear. Thank you so much, guys!

Offline mbloves87

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 03:39:27 PM »
If you do buy a samurai there are a couple of things you can do easily that Improve handling greatly first is put on a sturdier light truck tire and to replace the original leaf springs With a set of New old man emu leaf springs and shocks