Hello Guest

ZUKIWORLD ZUKFARI - Fall Classic 2016 - Bend, OR

• 35 Replies

Offline Thirty-Nine

• Subcompact Culture
Re: ZUKIWORLD ZUKFARI - Fall Classic 2016 - Bend, OR
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 08:13:28 AM »
Mark us down as a yes.

We'll be there in the Jeep Cherokee this year.

;)

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 08:16:42 AM »

Don't worry, there will be plenty of samurais and sidekicks out there to help your jeep along when the going gets rough!
My rig is a fusion of Jazz and Funk; I call it JUNK

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 04:35:57 PM »
Mark us down as a yes.

;)

Yay
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Thirty-Nine

• Subcompact Culture
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 09:49:27 AM »

Don't worry, there will be plenty of samurais and sidekicks out there to help your jeep along when the going gets rough!

Ugh. I'm not "that guy," aren't I? :p

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2016, 10:17:14 AM »
All - Val came up with a cool Cold War era radar station to check out close to the dunes, we'll add that to Super Saturday and just jam pack it!

Also attached a programming file for 2-way FM radios. If you have a BaoFeng 5 "whatever" this will load right in using the CHIRP software... If you don't want to go through the hassle, we'll be on MURS 4 which is 154.570Mhz. Reminder, we WILL NOT be using CB radios. I do have a couple of loaner FM radios to lend for the weekend if you need one. Please PM me if you need one.

Thanks, Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2016, 09:42:54 AM »
Did some recon yesterday and found out that the Ft. Rock gas station is open. Yay! and the 'other' bar & grill is pretty nice and well worth a drop in.  Unfortunately, the museum is closed for the winter, sorry Val...

I'm going to finish up the itinerary in the next week so please chime in if you want to influence it.

Thanks, Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2016, 09:44:27 AM »
Oh yeah... campfire shenanigans, who's up for that? Since the evenings are long, what could we do as a group activity to entertain ourselves? Contests, Themed Party, book club?

thoughts?

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 08:33:16 PM »
And just like that...the Sidekick is back on the road!  Decided that I didn't want to wait until the last minute to be ready for the fall classic, so in the last week:
-new transmission
-new clutch, flywheel, pilot and throwout bearings
-new rear control arm bushings with modified sleeves and large diameter bolts
-repaired onboard air system (some jackass of a rodent decided to chew through an air line that required removal of the front bumper to access)
-new belt tensioner
-new idler pulleys
-new alternator
-fluids/filter change
-new wiper blades
-welded in patch panels to complete my twin-stick conversion and added dynamat under the center console to reduce in cabin noise

No last-minute wrenching for me...instead, I'll put off packing until the night before to engineer in the appropriate amount of disaster. 

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2016, 09:04:08 PM »
Sewerzuk - Any pics coming of your twin stick.  How is the noise level after the Dynamat?

I have been wanting to make this outing for several years now, and my schedule is still interfering.  Even when I was working in Portland or Seattle, I couldn't make it.  I had to be on the east coast that week.

Anyone interested in making  the trip with me from Galveston to Oregon?  It's 2,500 miles, each way.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 03:58:33 AM by Ridjobradi »

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 07:03:38 AM »
Sewerzuk - Any pics coming of your twin stick.  How is the noise level after the Dynamat?

I have been wanting to make this outing for several years now, and my schedule is still interfering.  Even when I was working in Portland or Seattle, I couldn't make it.  I had to be on the east coast that week.

Anyone interested in making  the trip with me from Galveston to Oregon?  It's 2,500 miles, each way.

Sure; attached is a pic of the twin sticks in my Sidekick.  Low Range Off Road sells a kit so that you can use the Trail Gear toyota kit on the Sidekick transfer case.  The install involves disassembly of the case to remove an interlock ball; not terribly difficult, but it does take some time.  Good time to install lower gears.
The twin sticks take up less space than the stock shifter, and the boot doesn't fully cover the factory opening in the body.  So, I had about 10 square inches of opening below my console.  A lot of noise was coming through there; I was surprised at how loud it was.  I welded in patch panels and added dynamat under the length of the console.  Not sure which one reduced noise level more, but the combination made a huge difference.  I took it on a test drive last night and the reduction in noise level was significant. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 11:43:50 AM by sewerzuk »

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 10:39:13 AM »
Sewerzuk - Thanks for the picture and information.  I have the same kit to install with a lower gear set. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:56:37 PM by Ridjobradi »

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2016, 04:09:03 PM »
And just like that...the Sidekick is back on the road!  Decided that I didn't want to wait until the last minute to be ready for the fall classic, so in the last week:
-new transmission
-new clutch, flywheel, pilot and throwout bearings
-new rear control arm bushings with modified sleeves and large diameter bolts
-repaired onboard air system (some jackass of a rodent decided to chew through an air line that required removal of the front bumper to access)
-new belt tensioner
-new idler pulleys
-new alternator
-fluids/filter change
-new wiper blades
-welded in patch panels to complete my twin-stick conversion and added dynamat under the center console to reduce in cabin noise

No last-minute wrenching for me...instead, I'll put off packing until the night before to engineer in the appropriate amount of disaster.

I you feel like you may miss those last-minute wrenching sessions I do have an opportunity for you! 

:)

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2016, 06:59:06 PM »

I you feel like you may miss those last-minute wrenching sessions I do have an opportunity for you! 

:)

-Eric

Eric - I agree.  Wishing I could show up in Portland with my Sidekick; and with my t-case, twin sticks, and new u-joints in a box.  Maybe my winch plate and some 7018 rods too.....

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2016, 08:45:59 PM »
Just emailed my request for attendance.  I don't keep in great touch on this forum, but participated years ago (2010) and am excited for the opportunity to get back down there!

Joe

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2016, 04:12:44 PM »
It's great to have ya, Joe. ..

Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online