Hello Guest

What to gear down?

• 7 Replies

Offline TimmyD

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
What to gear down?
« on: September 26, 2016, 06:12:36 PM »
Hey guys new to the forums. So I bought 2 1987 Sammys one of which runs but needs a clutch and some other odds and ends. I always wanted a Samurai and when I found these 2 they were cheap enough that I picked them up. The one has  got 35s on it and I know that the transmission is not going to like ouching those things without some lower gearing. I'm 17 and kinda working on a budget for this thing. I'm serously considering re-gearing the diffs but I also heard of some guys re-gearing the transfer case. So what's your opinions? I'm not new to this type of stuff as my family has dirt bikes and my friends and I are always tinkering with something with a motor so I can do it it's just what is gonna be better to do. Thanks for all your input!

Thanks...Tim

Offline TimmyD

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
What to gear down?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 06:13:17 PM »
Hey guys new to the forums. So I bought 2 1987 Sammys one of which runs but needs a clutch and some other odds and ends. I always wanted a Samurai and when I found these 2 they were cheap enough that I picked them up. The one has  got 35s on it and I know that the transmission is not going to like ouching those things without some lower gearing. I'm 17 and kinda working on a budget for this thing. I'm serously considering re-gearing the diffs but I also heard of some guys re-gearing the transfer case. So what's your opinions? I'm not new to this type of stuff as my family has dirt bikes and my friends and I are always tinkering with something with a motor so I can do it it's just what is gonna be better to do. Thanks for all your input!

Thanks...Tim

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: What to gear down?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 05:10:42 PM »
I'm a fan of t-case over gears.  Mainly because it's a lot less work.  But you do need to make sure you add some bracing onto the long t-case mount or else you can twist it up.  I would recommend just swapping it out for a cradle setup at the same time.

Are you sticking with stock axles?  If so I would go with the 28 spline conversion from Zuk's Off-Road along with some chromoly fronts just to make sure things hold together.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline TimmyD

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 02:24:14 PM »
Ok thanks for the input! And yes I am sticking with the stock axles. I'm basically trying to keep it as cheap as possible since I bought it mainly as a beater for my family's property in NY. So is gearing down the t-case better than the axles or just easier?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 03:16:13 PM »
The nice thing about the t-case gearing is you get both low and high range reduction.  So a 6.5:1 kit is going to allow you to run the 35's on the street as long as you don't need to climb hills to quickly and give you a reduction from the stock 2.8 low range.  So best of both worlds.  I would switch to a cradle style from Low Range or Zuks

http://www.zuksoffroad.com/ZOR-1714-bolt-SUPER-CRADLE-t-case-mounting-system-_p_182.html
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/suzuki-off-road-parts/samurai/transfer-case.html

What type of wheeling do you do?  I ran 33's with a mini-spool and was fine on dirt style trails.  But rocks put a lot more load on the axles and can cause breakage.  You might be ok with just a set of chromolies front and rear.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline yadder.mejia

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 10:47:49 AM »
Question about the question, when you install a 6:5:1 kit, is there anything else you have to swap? Just install and go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TimmyD

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 04:32:36 PM »
The wheeling I'm gonna be doing is not very hard, some little rocky sections here and there but nothing bad. And I live right near Raush Creek Offroad Park (if you know where that is) and just doing some of their easier stuff. I didn't get a title with the Samurai and it wouldn't pass inspection in PA because of rust and what not so it will not be driven on the road.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 08:07:01 AM »
With the 6.5:1 you need to do some trimming to the inside of your t-case, but that isn't a big issue as long as you have a Dremmel tool.  Just be careful to not go through the side of the case.  And buy some JB Weld just in case you do.  :D

If your doing light duty wheeling then you should be fine.  More so if you don't run a permanent locker.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing