Hello Guest

Building a Chevy Tracker overlanding rig with trailer: Question about tow weight

• 1 Replies

Offline mattjans

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
I don't know much about cars, but am trying to turn my 2002 Chevy Tracker into an overlanding/camping rig (will be going through a shop). Right now I'm leaning toward buying a Morris Mule trailer (http://www.morrismule.com/, or similar) and putting a roof-top tent on the trailer (rather than on the Tracker). A few questions for more experienced folks.

Here's an example of the trailer rig I'm trying to build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsqkvU_ISUo

Details: Tracker is rated to tow 1000 lb (or 1500 lbs if trailer has its own breaks. I assume that includes with two adults in the car. Trailer + tent gets up to about 800lbs. Leaving 200-700 lbs for gear dep on whether I add brakes to the trailer.

Question 1: What Tracker upgrades would make towing easier or up that tow limit? I already have a solid hitch (frame, not bumper). But is the tow weight limit related to engine/HP? Or something else?

Question 2: If you were upgrading this stock 4x4 4cyl tracker to make it more off-road worthy (while towing), what would you add first. I don't expect we'll do much intensive hard trail overlanding right away, but where would you go first (after lift, tires, etc.) that would make towing easier off-road.

Question 3: What other trailers would you recommend. Must be able to hold a two-person tent, and we'd prefer tent/soft-wall v. hard-wall and tear-drop type. But we're open to personal recommendations from experience. Mainly, I like the Morris Mule outfit because it gives room for gear plus sleeping space.

Thanks in advance!

-Matt

Online fordem

The restriction is brake related, that's why you can tow a heavier trailer if the trailer has it's own brakes.

If towing with an automatic transmission, consider adding a cooler and a transmission temperature gauge, if towing with larger tires, consider "re-gearing" the axles to compensate for the tire size, and if you're going with that style of trailer, try to keep the tent below roof top height, that way there will be less drag and less impact on fuel consumption.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 07:23:14 PM by fordem »
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny