Hello Guest

Gas can holder for spare tire 2nd gen Tracker/Vitara

• 3 Replies

Offline BigBamBoo

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Gas can holder for spare tire 2nd gen Tracker/Vitara
« on: November 24, 2016, 04:30:40 PM »
Hi folks. I am looking for a gas/Jerry can holder that bolts to the spare tire/bracket.

I have found them for Jeeps, etc., and a place in Canada claims to make one Tracker/Vitara, but I can. It get a response from them via their website.

So looking for more options.

Thanks

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: Gas can holder for spare tire 2nd gen Tracker/Vitara
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 05:11:45 PM »
That's something that's pretty generic and I'd think that if you got the correct bolt pattern, even a "Jeep" spare tire device would work. So, I'd search for your bolt pattern vs. make and model.

Good luck, Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:22:43 PM »
AlteredEgo Motorsports (the place in Canada) makes one. I think they are a pretty small shop so they seem unable to keep up with emails. I have emailed them before and not gotten a response, but when I phoned in they seemed quite helpful and willing to answer my questions. I would just give them a quick call if I were you.
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper

Offline Out4aRip

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 02:20:31 PM »
I can confirm that the Rotopax Jeep spare tire mount will bolt on to the spare tire bracket of the Grand Vitara and 2nd Gen Trackers, because I have one on my 2003 ZR2 right now. https://rotopax.com/jeep-tire-mount.html
It's stupid expensive for what it is but a custom made bracket would still be as expensive.

To get mine to sit just where I wanted it though, i cut a few pieces of vinyl tubing in to 1/4" lengths and slipped them over the studs on the spare tire mounting bracket so the slotted plate would sit a bit higher and would stay securely in place even if I removed the spare tire. That was the easy part of fitting it. The hard part is trimming down the shaft of the receiver and tongue on the mount itself so the fuel can is not floating 4" away from the tire. I run 235/75 on the stock 15" alloy rims and sure you could get away with just bolting it on but it's worth the extra effort to trim it down so the can sits as close to the tire as possible. Less stress on the parts and less chance of a mishap.  With a bit of clever measurement and two straight cuts with an angle grinder I managed to shave down both ends of the shafts on the bracket to exactly the right length/depth so the fuel can would be in contact with the rubber and the cinch pin holes would line up perfectly. Couldn't have asked for a better fit once the lug studs were padded out a bit and the length of the receiver shaft and tongue was trimmed down.