Hello Guest

Adventure ideas for 2017 - YOUR INPUT NEEDED!

• 47 Replies

Offline beagle..t

Re: Adventure ideas for 2017 - YOUR INPUT NEEDED!
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 08:03:27 PM »
I believe its near Princeton British Columbia but will find out exactly
new rig aka "the mule" 2002 tracker
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Offline beagle..t

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 02:25:01 PM »
the trail head to whipsaw is east of Princeton BC  on the #3 hwy   if you use google earth the trail head is labelled whipsaw all I know about this area is a early summer or early fall run cause the bugs are suppose to be nuts. I don't know what type or wheeling is involved but I hear its good wheeling
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2016, 10:53:17 AM »
Not just Suzukis, but I am going to Moab with a good group of guys from Portland, OR for 7 days. Anyone is welcome to join! Leaving early on October 6th, 2017 coming back October 13th, 2017.

Is that part of the fall event that Red Rock 4 Wheelers put on?

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline CoolMooseMan

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2016, 09:25:39 AM »
Not just Suzukis, but I am going to Moab with a good group of guys from Portland, OR for 7 days. Anyone is welcome to join! Leaving early on October 6th, 2017 coming back October 13th, 2017.

-Eric

Nope, It is a group in Portland called PDX Overlanders, someone just set a date and whoever wants to go is welcome!

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2016, 09:41:59 AM »
the trail head to whipsaw is east of Princeton BC  on the #3 hwy   if you use google earth the trail head is labelled whipsaw all I know about this area is a early summer or early fall run cause the bugs are suppose to be nuts. I don't know what type or wheeling is involved but I hear its good wheeling

I'm going to look this up. Years ago this was on the radar but that changed. 

Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2016, 09:43:31 AM »

-Eric

Nope, It is a group in Portland called PDX Overlanders, someone just set a date and whoever wants to go is welcome!

I've seen that group on FB. Do you enjoy wheeling with them?

Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Offline CoolMooseMan

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2016, 12:08:07 PM »

-Eric

I've seen that group on FB. Do you enjoy wheeling with them?

Eric

I have wheeled with around 10 or so of them and they are all good guys/gals. Good, safe fun and everyone helps each other out on the trails and a huge variety of rigs. I have been to TSF with them a few times, people just post up in the group when they are planning on going and whoever can make it joins them. It should be a very fun trip! I will keep this thread posted as to any changes that may occur, but those are the set dates at the moment, leaving at 6am from PDX on October 6th, 2017 until October 13th, 2017!

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2016, 04:27:41 PM »
Cool...

I'm looking up the Whipsaw trail and that area is only 10 hours from our house... Canada is looking like a good option for 2017!

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Offline beagle..t

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2016, 06:29:53 PM »
I found if you use goggle earth find Princeton BC follow #3 hwy (crows nest ) east and its labelled whipsaw fsr. and early summer or sept cause the bugs are suppose to be bad
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 06:40:57 PM by beagle..t »

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 06:52:40 AM »
What I have read is that Aug & Sept are best times depending on the snow pack.  It is either one of the toughest trails on west coast or a long back road run?  It could be run in a long day or you need at least three days.  "First Canadian trail to be added to the BFG Outstanding Trails program. Has everything from bottomless mud pits, tight technical sections, gnarly hill climbs, great camping, alpine meadows and so much more! "
https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=192621  and lots more links, photo's, and video's.

Sounds like a good run (and not far for me also).
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 10:06:30 AM »
The Whipsaw is looking like a yes! We're thinking of scheduling it around Labor Day weekend (US)... that should be late enough for a frost to kill the skeeters??? Anyone from the area got an idea aboot that? This will also give people plenty of time to obtain passports if needed.

Thoughts?

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Offline beagle..t

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 04:53:59 PM »
well I will post a trail ride on a FB BC Suzuki Club (4x4) and see how many more I can get from here and get someone that has been there as I have not. will that work for you Eric as I want to get as many zuks out there

Offline beagle..t

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 06:06:39 PM »
What I have read is that Aug & Sept are best times depending on the snow pack.  It is either one of the toughest trails on west coast or a long back road run?  It could be run in a long day or you need at least three days.  "First Canadian trail to be added to the BFG Outstanding Trails program. Has everything from bottomless mud pits, tight technical sections, gnarly hill climbs, great camping, alpine meadows and so much more! "
https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=192621  and lots more links, photo's, and video's.

Sounds like a good run (and not far for me also).

thx BRD HNTR for putting that up it gives everyone an idea where it is

Offline beagle..t

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2016, 05:01:28 PM »

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2016, 10:22:55 AM »
I just ran the Whipsaw trail in August and it was 100% AWESOME. You can easily do it in 2 days if you keep moving. We had a group of 11 vehicles from various corners of BC, we all met up and camped on Thursday night just outside of Princeton, and then around 9AM Friday we hit the trail, and by around 4PM Saturday we were out the other end. The trail is perfect for multi-day camping as there is the beautiful Wells Lake with 2 large bush campsites right in the halfway point of the trail, and then at the end of the trail there is Lodestone Lake with a BC Forestry campsite there. The trail is a nice mix of easy/moderate trail with plenty of optional harder lines for those with built-up rigs. My brother took a stock 2007 Jeep JK Unlimited and another guy took a stock 2008 Tacoma 4wd base model (no lockers) over this trail, and it was definitely pushing these stock rigs to the maximum limit of their capabilty. Everyone else in our group was running 31s to 35s and had no problems except when we went looking for trouble. So it's not "hard-core" by any means, but it's not easy-peasy either. I would recommend at minimum 29" tires, full skidplates, basic recovery and survival gear, and at least one other vehicle along if you run into trouble. If I recall correctly it is around 90km from start to finish and once you are in it, there is no way out other than back the way you came or continuing to the end. The bugs were not much of an issue (depends what you are used to though, I am from farther north so we tend to have it worse). I think the earliest you can run the trail is around the beginning of July, due to the snow taking a long time to melt, and then it would probably be pretty wet and mosquito infested til it dries up. Parts of it are close to 6000' so it starts getting snow around mid-Sept, possibly earlier even. Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure:

This is an optional hard line. He didn't make it.

Memorial Rock, which is so named because a guy driving a Samurai flipped over backwards and died. It's about 40 degrees steep.

This is the bypass to a harder obstacle called "IFS Ledge". The bypass is really tight, but if you want to take the really easy way out there's a mud pit at the bottom you can plow through and avoid body damage.

97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper