Hello Guest

06ish grand vit

• 19 Replies

Offline Mesjr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
06ish grand vit
« on: February 15, 2017, 06:14:23 PM »
Has anyone heavily modded a 06 grand vit ? Solid axles ? Solid rear long travel front ?
 I'm looking at building another rig and am done with 4cys .

Offline beagle..t

Re: 06ish grand vit
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 07:28:30 PM »
aren't 06 unibody?
new rig aka "the mule" 2002 tracker
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Online fordem

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 05:05:43 AM »
Yes they are, but that doesn't mean you can't modify them - having said that, based on what I know of the JB series, I would not choose that as a platform for the sort of modifications being considered.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 10:48:19 AM »
What year did they switch from a longitude to a transverse setup for the motor?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Online fordem

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 02:07:08 PM »
As far as I know ALL GVs are "longitudinal" motor, not certain about the newer Vitaras, but if the GVs are now transverse that is news to me.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 06:15:38 AM »
What year did they switch from a longitude to a transverse setup for the motor?
You are probably thinking about the XL7, and that change was in 06 with the 3.6L only.  They still had the longitudinal 2.7L for a more years.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 09:44:01 AM »
I'm totally looking for a 'last gen' Vitara to build... I've had one on my lift and I think that there are some cool options to make a trail rig. As for solid axle and all that, I don't know.. It may be where the state of the art in rock crawling is headed or just my frame of mind but I'd like to make a robust fully independent vehicle.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Online fordem

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 01:00:09 PM »
Ummm - a 'last gen' Vitara might mean different things to different people, depending on your interpretation of 'last'.

Suzuki brought the Vitara name back for 2015, but, since they've pulled out of North America, it's not offered there - the new Vitara is your typical uninspiring FWD/4WD cross-over SUV, for those of you in the US, think Nissan Rogue, it's about that size & shape.  A 'last gen' Vitara in North America would perhaps be the SQ series (generally considered gen 2) which is live rear axle and IFS.

On the other hand, Eric, since I notice you mention 'fully independent' you might be meaning a 'last gen' Grand Vitara, which would be the JB or JT series - they are quite robust in terms of the strength of the unibody, but, the independent suspension is a bit of a let down - next time you look under one pay close attention to the following areas ...

In front - take a look at the control arms - the rear bush is a vertically oriented rubber bush that depends on a couple of narrow rubber "necks" to allow it to flex - they tear pretty easily.  This is a design better suited to a FWD sedan, which is where I first saw it (on a 2003 Lancer), although I've since learned that Toyota has been using it on Corollas since the late 90's, and it is quite common on other makes.

At the back - again the control arms - notice that slight V in the shape - you're going to be dragging it through the dirt on pretty much every soft surface - pay attention also to the shape of the exhaust, you're going to be dragging that too.

Other than that they're pretty nice vehicles - I have a 98 SQ420 & an 05 JB420 - both with the J20A engine, and of the two, I'd much rather drive the SQ.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Mesjr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 04:14:02 PM »
I'm all for ifs . Not sure about IRS yet . I like going a different rout . I haven't kept up with suzukis in the last few years . My 99 was a let down . Was my wife's DD and went through 2 2l motors bye to timing chain failures . I was collecting parts for a sas for that but I'm done with 2l . Not enough power anyway . Was looking for a v6 vit when I came across a 06 2.7 with a 5spd 👍. My wheels have bin turning ever since . Long travel ifs on a subframe and a solid rear .

Offline Mesjr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 04:19:26 PM »
I have not bought it yet , just trying to get info now . What about transfer cases ? Are any of them interchangeable . Could I use the one off my 99 ?
 I'd probably put a duvorced toy on it too .

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 06:51:43 AM »
I'm totally looking for a 'last gen' Vitara to build... I've had one on my lift and I think that there are some cool options to make a trail rig. As for solid axle and all that, I don't know.. It may be where the state of the art in rock crawling is headed or just my frame of mind but I'd like to make a robust fully independent vehicle.

-Eric
I have been watching for MY next build for quite a while, with the intent to go FIS, so it will be interesting to see where you go with this.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Online fordem

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 07:13:56 AM »
I'm all for ifs . Not sure about IRS yet . I like going a different rout . I haven't kept up with suzukis in the last few years . My 99 was a let down . Was my wife's DD and went through 2 2l motors bye to timing chain failures . I was collecting parts for a sas for that but I'm done with 2l . Not enough power anyway . Was looking for a v6 vit when I came across a 06 2.7 with a 5spd 👍. My wheels have bin turning ever since . Long travel ifs on a subframe and a solid rear .

You might want to look at how you're treating those motors...

The J20A is a perfectly good engine, and quite reliable when properly maintained, the probable reason you had multiple timing chain failures was poor maintenance, cheap parts, or both, treat the H-series V6 engines the same way and you can expect the same problems, they also use timing chains with hydraulic tensioners.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Mesjr

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 10:25:11 AM »
I bought the last motor with 60k miles on it . Used recommended oil viscosity , changed regularly.

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 06:13:48 PM »
It would be a ton of work to convert a 3rd gen GV to solid axle, even just in the rear. You'd be far better off starting with something that has at least a solid rear axle and then if you need to, convert the front end. Why not just get a 2nd gen GV and work with that...it's not a bad platform and the other advantage over the 3rd gen is that you wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel all on your own. Other people are working on these rigs and building them up. Nobody does anything with the 3rd gens in North America. Maybe in places like Australia they see a little more fanfare but unless you're doing relatively tame wheeling, it's not a great platform to start modifying. Beats the crap out of something like a Jeep Patriot or Ford Escape off road though.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 07:17:05 PM by olija »
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper

Online fordem

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 06:58:30 AM »
Whilst I agree with most of what was said, I want to point out that it's a little misleading to claim that nobody does anything with the third gens in North America, and more than a little ironic when you bring the Australians into the picture - I can think of at least two North American vendors offering third gen lift kits, both of which I know are being used in Australia.

Rocky Road Outfitters & SR Customs both offer kits for the third gens.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny