Hello Guest

TEMPERATURE GAUGE

• 3 Replies

Offline JAMES44

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
TEMPERATURE GAUGE
« on: February 24, 2017, 06:50:10 AM »
  My 1986 samari temp gauge has always read just above the bottom of the gauge since i have owned it the last 12 years is this normal ..i think it probably is ..be interested in other s comments on this....it only rises if i am in heavy traffic for a long time and then only a quarter of the  way up if that....
       jim

Offline BRD HNTR

Re: TEMPERATURE GAUGE
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 09:15:07 AM »
In my Tracker my temp gauge ran just above the mark at the bottom of gauge.  When I installed a 2005 V6 i put a separate temp sensor at the cooling water outlet and ran direct to gauge, which runs just above the bottom mark which is 190 by the computer. 
Straight up on the gauge is 250 by the computer (it has a bigger radiator and better fan now), so to pin the gauge would be melt down point.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 11:43:58 AM »
My SJ-410 ran low as well.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 01:07:10 PM »
James - get an IR gun and measure the temperature at the water outlet elbow - do it both with the engine at what you consider to be "normal" operating temperature and also at the elevated temperature that you experience in heavy traffic - that way you will know if there is an issue that needs to be dealt with.

Dashboard temperature gauges are not calibrated precision instruments, and this is deliberate - it's done to prevent the average owner from panicking & making unnecessary calls to the dealer - the gauges are designed to sit at or near mid-point over a wide range of temperatures and only go to the red if the engine is on the point of overheating.

The fact that yours does not work this way is not cause for immediate concern, but, it could also be a sign of an underlying issue and should be followed up - especially the fact that the needle does move higher in heavy traffic - none of the Suzukis I've owned (and there have been several) do that - by verifying the temperatures you will know where you stand.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny