Hello Guest

Looking for a bush truck, what say you guys?

• 3 Replies

Offline bandit86

• elv8rguy
Looking for a bush truck, what say you guys?
« on: March 27, 2017, 07:59:20 PM »
I love the trackers, but they are so rare around here I may have to go far, or go to something else. Any of you guys wheel other small trucks or SUV? Are colorados any good offroad? They seem to get bashed for the weak ifs. Are they similar to a tracker underneath?
TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO JEEP HAS GONE BEFORE!

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
Re: Looking for a bush truck, what say you guys?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 05:27:39 PM »
One of my friends had a 1st gen Colorado, the rare 4 cyl 5 speed regular cab short box model, and he didn't even really take it off road, and wore out the tie rod ends, ball joints, and wheel bearings prematurely. The front suspension also developed cracks around the area where the torsion bar fixes into the a-arm. Comparing that to my previous 2004 Tacoma, which took a heck of a  beating and never complained, I would say they are an inferior design. One advantage a Tracker has over a Colorado is the coil sprung suspension on all 4 corners will yield more flex than a torsion bar design, and also the Colorado rear leaf springs are slung underneath the axle so you lose quite a bit of clearance compared to a coil which sits on top of the axle, or a sprung-over leaf ie: Tacoma. If you're a fabricator maybe you could find a Colorado for significantly cheaper than a similar aged Tacoma, swap a solid front axle into it, and do a spring-over-axle on the rear, and you'd have a pretty decent rig. The only thing you'd still be missing would be the option to run a manual transmission on a 4-door...but you do have the 5.3L V8 as an option so I guess that makes it even.
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper

Offline bandit86

• elv8rguy
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 12:30:35 PM »
That's why we love the trackers. Too bad they're getting old and far in between. 

What's the next toughest small suv or truck that can take much bigger tires stock?
TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO JEEP HAS GONE BEFORE!

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 03:53:20 PM »
If you are trying to avoid the high price of a Toyota, I'd suggest a Nissan Pathfinder or Xterra or an Isuzu Trooper or a Jeep Cherokee or Wrangler TJ if you are looking for a 2 door convertible. They're all pretty solid rigs but don't quite have that same reputation. Compared to a Tracker they are gonna be alot roomier, more powerful, heavier, and thirstier.
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper