Remove dash - Swap from old to new style

• 7 Replies

Offline pmuzzio

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Remove dash - Swap from old to new style
« on: May 01, 2017, 08:36:34 PM »
Hi all!!

I've got a new style dash (2003-2005) complete to swap on my Grand Vitara 2.0

I know that the heater core/AC  is different and wont work with the new style knobs (but dunno if it could stay installed and used with the system attached in the globe box or something untill I get the new one)

I got the new style transfer case shifter (which is different than the old one) also.

The wiring loom is attached to the new dash (including the steel frame).

Does anyone has references to remove the old dash the easy way? and if the wiring loom and will change too much from one dash to an other .

Regards!

Online fordem

Re: Remove dash - Swap from old to new style
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 09:57:09 AM »
There are enough changes to the electricals/electronics that I would be quite surprised if you did get it to work with what you say you have.

If I'm right the updated dash needs the BCM (Body Control Module) to work, and the BCM will look for the matching PCM (Powertrain Control Module) and when it doesn't find it, you'll get all sorts of error codes - I believe there are three different computers in there, I don't remember what the third one is, that all have to be present, along with their associated sensors and actuators.

Good luck
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline pmuzzio

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 11:46:25 AM »
There are enough changes to the electricals/electronics that I would be quite surprised if you did get it to work with what you say you have.

If I'm right the updated dash needs the BCM (Body Control Module) to work, and the BCM will look for the matching PCM (Powertrain Control Module) and when it doesn't find it, you'll get all sorts of error codes - I believe there are three different computers in there, I don't remember what the third one is, that all have to be present, along with their associated sensors and actuators.

Good luck

I might have those modules too.  Where should they be located? I have the whole dash and wiring on it.

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »
From memory, the PCM should be under the glove box, and the BCM should be to the side of the HVAC unit - be warned the PCM has to match the powertrain, so the new dash would have had to come out of a vehicle identical to yours engine & transmission wise.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline pmuzzio

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 01:34:45 PM »
But besides from the dashboard ("tach and other gauges), there isn't much things to connect there?  I will take some pictures and investigate more what I have. 

Offline pmuzzio

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 03:12:25 PM »
From memory, the PCM should be under the glove box, and the BCM should be to the side of the HVAC unit - be warned the PCM has to match the powertrain, so the new dash would have had to come out of a vehicle identical to yours engine & transmission wise.

So, did some more diggin and looking:

The dash is from a J20 Grand Vitara Manual. so it should work OK with my ECM
The BCM is in the dash, and wired up.

So besides from the heater core, it should be fine.
 Took some pictures of the connectors and wiring harness from behind the new dash, will post them in a couple of hours.

Thank so much for your help!! Hope I could post install pictures soon.

Online fordem

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 04:34:00 PM »

I think you missed one thing - your ECM is from a vehicle without a BCM - it does not know how to communicate with a BCM - you need the ECM from the vehicle the dash and the BCM are from.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline pmuzzio

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »

I think you missed one thing - your ECM is from a vehicle without a BCM - it does not know how to communicate with a BCM - you need the ECM from the vehicle the dash and the BCM are from.

OH.  So I need a ECM from a Grand Vitara 2.0 Manual then.

So, in order to make the swap I'll need :

- ECM
- Heater/Conderser Unit
- New blower unit? Or those are the same?

Thanks!