Hello Guest

Toyota Corolla Carb Swap Idling Too High

• 4 Replies

Offline Shorty

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Toyota Corolla Carb Swap Idling Too High
« on: May 11, 2017, 07:02:59 PM »
Anyone out there have problems with idle being too high after putting on an Asian after market toyota carb?  Everything is running great except for the idle.  The idle is sitting around 2000 and I have done everything I know to get it down, but no luck.  Took her for a drive and it runs excellent, just can't get the idle right.  Any suggest would be great.  Thanks!

Online fordem

Re: Toyota Corolla Carb Swap Idling Too High
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 07:45:19 PM »
A couple of suggestions ...

With a carb there's usually only one way to get the engine to idle high - and that is to have the throttle plate open too far - there are generally two ways to have the throttle plate open too far, the first is the idle stop screw, the second is the throttle cable - have you checked both of those?

It might be possible if you have a vacuum leak somewhere AND have a rich mixture that the engine won't lean out enough to stall because of the vacuum leak - that might also be worth checking since you are using a different carb.

One more suggestion - what sort of cold start mechanism does the carb have - if it's an auto choke - how does it disengage - water or electric, is it disengaging properly, is there a separate fast idle adjustment that may need resetting?
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Shorty

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 06:15:41 PM »
I have checked both, the throttle cable and the idle screw.  I have also installed a manual choke so that shouldn't be it either.  Vacuum hoses are plugged, but maybe there is a leak.  I will check there again.  Not really sure... Thinking it may be a junk Asain carb with a bad jet... Frustrated and wanting my buggy back on the road!!

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 06:41:24 AM »
I don't see jetting as being the issue - too large a jet will cause it to run rich rather than idle at 2000, too small a jet and it will not idle at all (we're talking the idle jet here).
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Lena01

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 03:10:11 AM »
hi all, my name is Lena)) I am a new member here )) thanks for your post , nice to meet you all here, in this web site