Hello Guest

Amy gets a Lock-Right

• 24 Replies

Offline TioPick

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: Amy gets a Lock-Right
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 07:39:44 PM »
With some careful packaging and shopping for shipping...  I put  6 plywood pieces in the cardboard box for strength and I went Fed-ex ground for only $27.14 shipping and my differential case and lock-right parts are on their way to Trail Tough in Medford OR...  5 days shipping each way and a day or two in the shop for turn around.  Updates in about 2 weeks.  Back to working on John Deere, Town Car, various trailers and maybe mounting the light bar on the Tracker.

Offline DOWNEASTER

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 03:17:15 AM »
You are totally dead on with your comment ,that lock rites have their on personalitys. The one I run in the rear diff is bipolar on days when the temp. is -10  lol. But its always works great. Most ppl dont like them after a short while as because the light weight of tracker/sidekicks,they dont always unlock very well on dry tar in a sharp corner and endup drag'n the inside wheel. But they are not made for cruising down main street,lol. But you will forget all about it when your knee deep in mud or climbing a hill. As I've said before i run one in both front & rear diffs, and was 'mud'n" when somehow i broke a front cv shaft yet  the lock rite still put power to the other front wheel.Without the lock rite i would have lost 4x4  all together. 3x4 got me home .lol

Offline TioPick

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 11:08:24 AM »
or NOT...  I will not repeat all the steps that got us to where we are now but you can read the above.  I had called 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers and purchased a 1512-LR for my 2001 Chevuki Tracker.  I was pulling the 3rd member and swapping it out anyhow and decided that was the best time to add some sort of locker.  Following my conversation with the maker of the lock right, I did endeavor to measure clearances in the differential.  As much as I want things to work, it did not seem to agree with what should be.  Therefore, having no other excuse, I decided to listen to people on here that are more experienced...  I mean, that is what we and they are here for....  and the "best" advice was to ship it off to someone who knows what they are doing..  ie, in this case Trail Tough in Medford OR.  They received my box today and called me back.  NO GOOD NEWS>  There is not really a Lock-right that properly fits 1999-2003 Trackers and Vitaras.  I do not fully understand all that I do not know about different Lock-rights and different axle housings etc.  BUT as I had noticed, trying to install the 1512-LR in my differential, the drivers only engage about 1/4th of the teeth on the side gears.  This would also explain why Lock-right spends so many pages of their installation manual to the condition / wear on the side gears.  Apparently if the edges / corners are new enough and sharp enough that it can work... at least for awhile.  It appears that there is no locking option within my budget.  I would weld up to spider gears BUT #1, it ruins the heat treat and weakens, #2 can lead to breaking axles...  #3 that is overkill for something that is used mostly around town and once a month or so does a few miles on the beach..

Now to try to talk 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers into taking this thing back... or if you have a pre-98 sidekick etc, I would make you a deal.   :(

Offline craigmno1

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »
Hey guys, this is my first 4x4 build.  I have a 2000 tracker.  In my shopping around for parts I ran across a product that claimed could be installed in the differential that would permanently lock it together eliminating the need to weld it together.  Think they might have been called rollers?  In my attempt to go thru my browser history I could not find the site i seen them on.  Can anyone give their opinion on any such product and maybe a link to find them.  Thanks in advance for any info.

Offline TioPick

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 03:07:21 PM »
Tio Pick here.  I have the 2001 Tracker so should be the same as the 2000 you have.  Perhaps you found a "spooler"?  I think I had found one of those myself and now don't remember where.  The guys at Trail Tough told me they were not aware of a spooler for our Trackers.  They could be wrong though.  The first question is "are you going to drive it on the street?".  Only sometimes getting to where you want or as a daily driver.  I believe most if not all would agree with me that you do not want a solid locked up rear axle on the street (would be different if we could figure out how to Warn Hub the rear and have 1 wheel drive.

The spooler would be for 26 spline axles but I am not sure about fitting inside the Tracker differential cage.  The spooler is only a sleeve with splines in the ends for the axles and then some holes in the middle for the shafts the spider gears had been on.  Let me know what happens.

Offline craigmno1

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 08:26:58 AM »
Thanks for the info.  There's a chance that my wife would drive to work daily during the summer time (about a mile and a half). All in all I would like to eventually have a dual purpose rig.  Locking the rear end probably is not an option.  Can I get opinions on the lock rite lockers vs. lets say and arb air locker?  Are the air lockers worth the money?  Haven't started the build process yet. Still in the gathering info stage.  Think the lockers are in the distant future.  My plan is to go with a lift and bigger tires and hopefully have the money for some sort of locker once I get frustrated enough with the stock differential. 

Online fordem

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 12:13:17 PM »
Are the air lockers worth the money?

That's kind of a personal decision, every one's circumstances are different - my wife and daughters occasionally drive my car, so an auto locker is out of the question, and whilst I'd love an air locker, the price and the frequency with which I would use it make it hard to justify, and I only need to justify it to myself.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline TioPick

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 06:32:06 PM »
craigmno1, at this time it is moot, you can not have a Lock-Right in our years trackers as the differential cage is the wrong size.  Perhaps if you got the rear end from a sidekick or?  I am not even sure about an air locker at this time due to the year but I am looking into it and will let you know.  If it fits, it is the only way to go... Well, it will be the only fit but also is the desired way to go as you can lock when you want and have an open diff the rest of the time.  It is about $1K + either $170 or $276 for the air compressor (with the more expensive one you can get an air hose kit to inflate tires.

I am thinking about only lifting mine 1" but I still have to extend the steering column and probably should have driveshaft spacers so maybe I should go ahead and rebracket the panhard rod and a couple more things and go 2 inches...  I am waiting for a reply from one of the suppliers before deciding.

I had a buddy get his JD Gator stuck up to the body in my pasture.  Possibly because he also has an 80 gallon spray rig in the bad but I was not able to pull him out with the Tracker and had to  use the John Deere 2440.  If that had nont done the trick I would have taken the JCB Backhoe and just picked the thing straight up in the air.  ;)

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 08:44:42 AM »
ARB's are expensive, but so are Name Brand winches, and the discussion usually isn't focused on their price.  I use my lockers  (both ends) way more than my cheap winch.  But you are right in the amount of times that it is necessary are slim, but very appreciated.  And my wife enjoys the fact that a flips of two switches and more traction is there.
I ran with an air compressor for a Lincoln seat for my ARB for a couple years.  When I had trouble with my ARB's locking up, and unlocking at the wrong times, I bought the larger compressor.   Turns out my air line got warm and with 105 lbs air pressure, it blew a hole.  Sometimes the tubing would fold together so that it would lock enough that it would hold for short stretches. 
You do have to watch airline placement, or get their upgraded airline.  And their air line is 5 mm, with BSP threads.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Online fordem

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 12:46:33 PM »
There's actually another locker (auto locker) that should fit, but, it's pricey and you may have to import it yourself - it's the Brazilian made Kaiser locker and both front & rear are available to fit the 98~05 Grand Vitaras.

I don't know of anyone who has fitted these to a GV, a couple of guys I know have them on Pajeros and one on a Samurai, the Pajero owners are quite happy, the Samurai owner took it back out, if it could have fitted my car I would have installed it, just to see how it worked - it is an "auto" locker (or auto UN-locker), supposedly smoother and less intrusive in operation than the lock rights, but apparently they can still make for a twitchy noisy disengagement on a lighter vehicle.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny