Hello Guest

3.6L v6 engine swap

• 14 Replies

Offline slystallion

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
3.6L v6 engine swap
« on: May 20, 2017, 02:05:13 PM »
Hi everybody pardon me if any of this is ignorant i'm not the most informed when it comes to mechanical matters. My 2.0 4cyl engine gave out on my 2001 chevy tracker 2 door and needs to be replaced. I was looking into having my mechanic who is my uncle install a late camaro 3.6L v6 and mating it with a matching 4wd transmission from a Colorado that uses the same engine. The engine is about 220 ci. If this swap is even possible I would imagine I'm going to need stronger brakes and suspension. Again pardon me if i'm absolutely ignorant on the matter. Also would be open to hearing different ideas of swaps if this one won't work.

Online fordem

Re: 3.6L v6 engine swap
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 02:34:31 PM »
Understand this one fact - the simplest swap will be a direct replacement, and the next simplest will be swapping in an engine that the manufacturer offered as an option, which in this case are the 2.5 & 2.7 litre V6.

Move to an engine from a different manufacturer and you better either know what you're doing, or have someone who knows what they are doing perform the swap - you're going to be looking at custom everything - mounts, cooling system, fuel, intake, exhaust and a whole bunch of wiring work - in my opinion - not worth the hassle unless the vehicle is something special...

Yes - if it's a 2.0 Tracker, the brakes are going to be marginal - you can consider swapping in the brakes from the 2.5 Suzuki Grand Vitara (not the 2.5 Tracker), but you won't know if those are up to the job until you fit them & try them - I suggested it because they are larger and a simple bolt in.

In terms of suspension, how much does the 3.6 V6 weigh?  If it's a cast iron V6, then yes, you'll probably need to address the suspension
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 07:40:57 PM »
While I agree with Fordem, this is a more complex swap than something you want to try for a first time.
Depending on year, but starting in 2005 the 3.6L V6 was a joint motor developed by Suzuki & GM.  It is all aluminum and has become a backbone motor for both Suzuki and GM, and undergone many modifications from both manufactures independently.  As a result the ECM has been included in Tuner packages, allowing changing the transmissions and what they need to run.  You can purchase stand alone wiring packages also.
That being said, and agreeing with Fordem, the easiest most logical swap is the 2.7 from an 2000+ XL7, or same engine from 2005+ Suzuki GV & XL7.  there are current members who have or are making this switch.  It is a bolt in swap, but still wiring can get intimidating .  You didn't say what transmission you are running, but finding a 2.7 with manual transmission is rare.  And I do not know of anyone tuning the ECM to change this profile.  If you get the motor & transmission from a 2005+ with the 5 speed automatic, then you have better gearing options., like running 5.13 and 33" tires with speedo right on.
Planning is everything.  Everything is custom. 
Remember every modification begets another modification.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline slystallion

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 03:40:03 AM »
I appreciate all the advice. Just out of curiosity would an engine the size of 220 Cubic inches fit inside the 2 door 2001 chevy tracker?

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 09:19:23 PM »
This isn't a definitive answer because nobody has ever done it, but I'm going to say "NO" because my 2.7L V6 in my 2003 XL7 (same engine bay size as your Tracker) is a tight fit already. You have to remember that these front clips were originally designed for a small inline 4 and then they decided to accomodate a larger engine as times changed and people wanted more power. I would say you are wasting your time trying to fit an engine like that in a Tracker because chances are the axles won't hold up to that kind of power in the long run. It may also be easier in some ways to take the entire drivetrain (engine, tranny, t-case) from a Colorado and just swap that into a Suzuki chassis if that's what you're after. At least those trucks are fairly common so finding a good donor truck would be easier than finding a Suzuki engine/tranny/t-case combo in good shape. Realistically though, it's still a waste of time to do such extreme mods unless you are planning on having some sort of ground breaking 4x4 overlander with custom everything and hundreds of hours of tinkering all the kinks out of it. Either replace the engine with the same one, or a bolt-in Suzuki one (nobody mentioned the Aerio 2.3L engine but I believe that is a close relative of the 2.0), or start shopping for a different vehicle...if you're into Colorado trucks but want an SUV, the Trailblazer/Envoy platform shares some componentry...
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper

Offline slystallion

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 05:50:21 PM »
Thank you guys for preventing me from doing something that would have ended up costing a crap ton of money and time. The v6 camaro engine doesn't make sense due to all the custom work needed and If I was going to spend that much time and effort having someone do custom work I might as well go for a v8 chevy small bock for a project like that.

I am very interested in the more practical options such as the 2.3L Aerio, which I believe won't need another transmission and will plug into the car for the most part with no issues I believe, correct me if i'm wrong. I have an auto by the way and will this affect the 4x4 functionality of my tracker?

How complicated would the 2.5L v6 tracker engine or the 2.7 XL-7 engine swap be? Those would require a matching transmission correct?

Would the 2.3L sx4 engine work similar to the Aerio? I only ask because those engines are newer.

Again I appreciate the help and information so much, I hope everyone has a wonderful memorial day weekend!

Offline beagle..t

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 06:57:38 PM »
the 2.5 and the 2.7 bolts right up ...but fully wiring harness front to back is required and dash, and a few other stuff, I put a 2.7 into my 2002 2dr tracker my build is in diy
new rig aka "the mule" 2002 tracker
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Offline slystallion

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 12:00:08 PM »
the 2.5 and the 2.7 bolts right up ...but fully wiring harness front to back is required and dash, and a few other stuff, I put a 2.7 into my 2002 2dr tracker my build is in diy

Would the 2.3 be a simpler install? How much more advantages do the 2.5 & 2.7 have in terms of more power. Do you feel better acceleration with the 2.7? The 2.7's are going for about double the 2.3's but i'm not sure if the 2.3 would affect the 4x4 mode in the tracker. Again thank you for your insight

Offline slystallion

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 05:37:16 PM »

I found your DIY page and have looked over it. I've been looking at some 2.7L engines on Ebay. Would I need to get the xl-7 wiring harness or Grand Vitara to be able to make the components of the tracker compatible? If I can only obtain the engine what other components should I look for and do you have a picture of the wiring so I can show the installer when the time comes. All help is much appreciated.

Offline beagle..t

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 08:46:47 PM »
best to have full donor vehicle ....cheaper in the long run as you wont be trying to find bits and pieces  (BRD HNTR) explained this to me that it would be best to have full donor and FSM with wiring diagram to make this swap easier.... and  I thank BRD HNTR every time I start it up
new rig aka "the mule" 2002 tracker
V6 swap auto  ,2 dr ,2" BL,2" jeffs kit 512 gears warn hubs and 30/9.5/15 BFG AT

Offline slystallion

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 03:01:04 PM »
I decided just to buy a 2.5L tracker engine off Ebay. Just wanted to know if it will directly swap as it was originally a 2.0 4cyl tracker.

Online fordem

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 04:19:35 PM »
It's not going to be a straight forward bolt-in swap, and you haven't given us enough detail for us to really give you a decent answer.

Is your vehicle automatic or manual transmission, was the "new" engine from an automatic or manual transmission vehicle?  The manual transmissions are different, and you'll need to swap the transmission as well - you're also going to need to swap the ECU, the engine wiring harness, exhaust, intake, cooling system, and the list goes on, and on, and on, and ....
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline slystallion

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 02:17:24 PM »
It's not going to be a straight forward bolt-in swap, and you haven't given us enough detail for us to really give you a decent answer.

Is your vehicle automatic or manual transmission, was the "new" engine from an automatic or manual transmission vehicle?  The manual transmissions are different, and you'll need to swap the transmission as well - you're also going to need to swap the ECU, the engine wiring harness, exhaust, intake, cooling system, and the list goes on, and on, and on, and ....

The 2.5L that goes in the zr2 isn't a bolt in swap? I haven't purchased an engine yet but was looking at the 2.5L on ebay. My tracker is an automatic, but if your saying all of that needs to be swapped in then I'll just purchase a 2.0l that it originally had.

Online fordem

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 02:58:58 PM »
Assuming the 2.5 also had an automatic transmission behind it, you might not have to swap the transmission - if you can get the torque converter housing with the engine - but, you're still going to need the ECU, wiring harness, intake & exhaust along with various bits of the cooling system plumbing that typically don't come with the engine - this is the reason you're being advised to get the "full donor vehicle" - it's the easiest way to get all the pieces you'll need, and when you're done you sell off what's left and try to recoup some of the cost.

Realistically speaking, engine swaps - other than replacing the broken/worn out one with something identical - are for people who work around cars and want to swap the engine, either to create the vehicle they want, or to improve a vehicle they have and want to keep - for example, Chevrolet never made a two door version of 2.5 V6 Tracker, so if someone wanted one badly enough he might buy your car with a blown engine and someone else's wrecked five door with the 2.5 V6 and build his dream - other than that it's just a good way to spend a large wad of cash.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 09:23:29 PM »
In my opinion, the only reason to do a 2.5L swap is an extremely good deal.  If you can't get a complete donor IT IS NOT AN EXTREMELY GOOD DEAL.  If you can't read a wiring diagram and make sense of it, the only way you will be able to get it running again is with a complete vehicle wiring swap. 

Read my buildhttp://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=22395.0 and count the times I have pulled and reset motor, or rebuilt the cobbled together wiring.  I just finished replacing motor wiring harness because it was breaking at the solder joints.  I got a very good deal on a 2,7l  and transmission with wiring harness and a computer.  If I had done the research I would have know that this set up requires at least three computers to run without codes.
This is why everyone is telling you to go slow and a complete donor will make your project so much easier and doable.  We all like to hear of builds going forward.  Swaps always take more time that one would think. 
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.