• 2 Replies

Offline ross3

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
ifs
« on: July 15, 2017, 06:11:18 PM »
i have an 02 Tracker 2 door
i want to put arb lockers in both axles
i have purchased an 03 standard v6 grand vitara to get the steel front dif
i have been told that i now need 2 rear third members from 89- samurais with 1.6l manual trans
are both my third members junk?
has anyone done this ?
do they just bolt into my housing?
Thanx Ross

Online fordem

Re: ifs
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 07:47:53 PM »
i have an 02 Tracker 2 door
i want to put arb lockers in both axles
i have purchased an 03 standard v6 grand vitara to get the steel front dif
i have been told that i now need 2 rear third members from 89- samurais with 1.6l manual trans
are both my third members junk?
has anyone done this ?
do they just bolt into my housing?
Thanx Ross

I don't know who is telling you this, but, you're right to question it - no Samurais ever left the factory with a 1.6 litre engine.  They shipped with 1.0 and 1.3 litre gasoline engines and some countries also got a diesel.

ARB's documentation says you need third members from an earlier model Sidekick or Vitara - a front for the front, and a rear for the rear.

The front differential you have now contains a pneumatic freewheel clutch, the earlier models don't have this, and ARB does not make an air locker that fits into this differential, which is why you use the air locker for the earlier model, along with the air locker for that model, you're also going to have to fiddle with the CV axles because the lengths are different to accommodate the freewheel clutch.

Regarding the rear differential - ARB says you need to swap the thirds, but, there are reports of folks fitting the an air locker into the rear differential by machining the inner diameter of the ring gear to clear the body of the locker.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline BRD HNTR

Re: ifs
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 10:18:10 PM »
I am running ARB's in both ends, like you want to.
ARB has a unit to fit your rear diff without any modification.
I am running a modified sami rear axle to replace my aluminum front housing and diff.  (Almost as complicated as what you are doing with the GV housing.)
ZW has these articles about what you are attempting to do, but not much in specifics.  http://www2.zukiworld.com/feature_sidekickdrivetrainimprovements/  or this one http://www2.zukiworld.com/feature_frontendupgradeswithhagen/
I would check with Trail Tough or Low Range Offroad, as they have been supplying equipment for this switch for years, and have usually been generous with information.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.