Hello Guest

Steering centering

• 3 Replies

Offline Weatherl

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Steering centering
« on: July 24, 2017, 02:34:18 PM »
I disconnect the steering shaft on my 2005 Chevy tracker and I think I spun it and not sure how to make sure it's centered . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Online fordem

Re: Steering centering
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 10:11:48 AM »
Assuming the vehicle has air-bags you're probably going to have to replace the clock spring - it's about to get broken, if it isn't already.

I'm also going to assume that the steering rack and tie-rods have not been tampered with, if they have you're going to need an alignment shop to get things properly sorted.

Start by getting the steering rack assembly as close to centered as you can - do this by whatever means necessary - eyeball the angle of the wheels, measure the distance of the rod end from the frame on each side, however you choose and then reconnect the steering column and drive the vehicle - with the vehicle driving straight forward, eye ball the steering wheel and determine how far from "centered" it is and also which direction it needs to be rotated .

Next disconnect the column at the same joint and rotate it in the direction it needs to go and by an amount that looks right - reconnect and test drive - repeat as required...

You could also take it an alignment shop and tell them what happened, they can center the rack on the alignment rig and then reposition the column/wheel so that it is centered.

Be aware that either method has risk of breaking the clock spring.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Weatherl

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 03:53:02 PM »
Your so right fordem I think the clock spring is broken the air bag light is on and the horn does not work. I have replaced clock spring on a older Tracker . I'm not sure how to get the air bag off any pointers you can give me would be appreciated . Thanks

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 05:04:14 PM »
Sorry - mine is "non air bag equipped".
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny