Hello Guest

1997 Sidekick eating alternator belt

• 8 Replies

Offline sidekickyc

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
1997 Sidekick eating alternator belt
« on: October 28, 2017, 05:08:40 PM »
I've replaced the alternator belt twice~ this last time~ I cleaned the driveshaft pulley of all burned in rubber.

This new belt ( about a month old) is tight enough~I believe~it is squeals at times~ to me that means it is wearing out again```

The alignment looks OK~ please what's your thoughts~ what have you found```

Thankyou

Richard

Online fordem

Re: 1997 Sidekick eating alternator belt
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 05:23:45 PM »
The squeal means it's slipping, which may or may not be related to wear - it could simply mean that the belt is not tight enough - Gates used to give away belt wear gauges (visit http://www.gates.com/products/automotive/tools-and-sales-aids/belt-wear-diagnosis/belt-wear-gauge and they'll send you one), the one I have is like a toothpick that you place in the ribs, if it's below the surface of the ribs it's time to change the belt.

Regarding the alignment - on one of my Suzukis, I replaced the belt because it was squealing and after the third replacement, I discovered the real problem was alignment, the alternator on that model had two pivot bolts underneath and one was missing, allowing the alternator to twist ever so slightly, not enough to be noticeable, but enough that the edge of the belt rubbed the pulley - I don't know how many pivot bolts your alternator has, but it's worth taking a peep at.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 05:31:40 PM by fordem »
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline sidekickyc

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 05:54:51 PM »
Thanks fordem for dropping by` this Alternator has two~bolts~both are in place``` Maybe now that I've cleaned up the drive pulley~we're good~but it worries my daughter~ I'm thinking of ordering a Gatorback belt `Goodyear```Have you used them~they do quiet a belt```

Offline sidekickyc

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 06:11:39 PM »
Just now looking at the belt~ the belt is riding on the drive pulley far toward the engine in the within the pulley```

however the belt is fed to from the water pump to the drive pulley and that pulley can be brought forward only by adding a gasket or shim~I'm thinking```

Offline ranger88den

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »
Is this a Sidekick Sport model?  What is the history of the vehicle; are you the original owner?

Offline sidekickyc

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 09:05:46 AM »
Greetings~ Sorry for the long time between posts```

It has happened again~ the belt is slipping enough so that it does not charge the battery```

Ranger~ This car had a blown engine when we got it~ I with the help of a friend installed an engine that had some miles on it```
I'm wondering if we removed the crankshaft pulley~ without replacing a shim or thrust washer~ I'll check the alignment again today```

We're at the mountain ranch at this time~ I have the car here```

Richard

I think the engine was in a sports model```
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:20:35 AM by sidekickyc »

Offline ranger88den

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 01:21:32 PM »
 Suzuki had different offset alternator brackets for the 8v & 16v, 1.6L engines.  If your Sidekick has the 1.6 engine; do you know the history of the replacement engine?  If the engine is a 1.6 & you don't know the history, possibly someone, with access to both 1.6 configurations, could have put on the wrong brackets.  This is why I asked if you had a Sport model, as to the best of my knowledge, the 1.6 was never installed in the Sport.

Offline sidekickyc

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 09:15:21 AM »
Greetings Ranger and thank you~

History of the engine: I found and bought the engine~ It was in a different model suzuki~ the owner planed to install a diesel engine```

I installed, with help of a friend, the engine in the sidekick after replacing the pan```

The belts ( pulleys) look to me to be aligned well```

This engine is a 1.6 16 valve engine~ I thought the one removed was also~ maybe I can check as the engine may still be at the ranch where we removed it```

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:18:53 AM by sidekickyc »

Offline sidekickyc

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 05:50:52 PM »
That deep cleaning of the crankshaft pulley seems to have done the trick``` No more belt noise and wear```
I had the belt very tight, so today I backed it off a bit~

I sent for a belt gauge from Gates~ it came~( different that the one pictured in this thread) In any case if I used it correctly the belt still has some life left in it~ not much room to use the gauge on that Sidekick```
Thank you guys for coming by to think this belt thing over with me```

Richard