Hello Guest

F150 shocks vs Thunderbird

• 4 Replies

Offline Cricker

F150 shocks vs Thunderbird
« on: October 20, 2017, 12:48:41 PM »
Looking to lift my stock tracker 2" with spacers and another 2" of body lift before one day swapping my tired old 8v for a 2.7l. From what ive gathered so far, a pair of Monroe sensa tracs looks like a good affordable way to go and ill probably throw a pair of control arm drops on while I'm at it. Just wondering which shocks you guys would reccomend for an ON/OFF road trail rig? Is anyone here running Thunderbirds over f150s ? Here are the specs.

97-03 F150
     Comp 14.25" Ext 23.875" Trvl 9.625"
80-88 Thunderbird
     Comp 14.75" Ext 23.75" Trvl 9"
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:59:10 PM by Cricker »
94 Tracker 8v 3spd
96 Tracker 16v 4spd
96 Tracker  16v 5spd
96 Sidekick 16v 5spd

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: F150 shocks vs Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 06:32:11 PM »
I would think the pickup shocks would be a better shock, since it is a similar type of vehicle, so valving and such will be more alike.  But the F150 shocks may be longer than you need for 2" of lift.  Not sure on a better option though...
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Online fordem

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 05:40:28 AM »
I find it interesting that you should mention shock valving, so few people do, but, does the fact that the F150 is a truck make any difference at all?

The shock valving needs to be tuned to match the springs, the springs need to be chosen to match the weight of the vehicle, or, in the case of a truck, the weight of the vehicle along with the expected "payload", and an F150 plus payload is going to be a lot heavier than a Tracker.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 04:26:21 PM »
I would go for the Doetsch if you can spend a little extra. The other choices are ok, only if you get them super cheap.  I used some Lincoln shocks for a little while, because I could get them the same day.  When I eventually changed my previous rig to the Doetsch, I was much happier.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 07:07:14 AM by Ridjobradi »

Offline TinTopTom

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 08:09:57 AM »
I find it interesting that you should mention shock valving, so few people do, but, does the fact that the F150 is a truck make any difference at all?

The shock valving needs to be tuned to match the springs, the springs need to be chosen to match the weight of the vehicle, or, in the case of a truck, the weight of the vehicle along with the expected "payload", and an F150 plus payload is going to be a lot heavier than a Tracker.

Exactly.

Example; I once put Chrysler A body 90/10 drag racing shocks (inexpensive CE's) on the front of a drag racing air-cooled VW. The 90/10 refers to percentage of resistance to movement. In this case, 10% extension (so the body separates easy in the front) and 90% compression. The big question is; 10% and 90% of what? In my case, the super light ACVW frontend, (560lbs with me in it) the Mopar race shock ratio might have been correct, but the base valving, oil viscosity, something internal to the shock was far too stiff. As a result, the car wouldn't 'leave' correctly. In fact, I took a pair of stock shocks and drained all the oil out of them, and got a much better result. I eventually got off my wallet and bought a set valved specifically for my application $$$, and sold the cheap Mopar race shocks, and chalked it up to experience.

The spring supports the weight, the shock controls the motion speed. A light weight vehicle needs lightly valved shocks. One exception might be a Samurai with Dana 60 1 tone axles and super heavy 44" tire/wheels. You'd need a heavier valves shock to control the motion of the high mass suspension components.

The last two times I bought custom length offroad shocks, the pros I bought from (at Chris at U Joint Offroad and Brent at Trail Tough) reminded me of that, and got me going in the right direction. I hope that's helpful.  ;D
Building stuff is a way of life