Hello Guest

xl7 after lift adjustments

• 4 Replies

Offline gman7.62

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
xl7 after lift adjustments
« on: November 15, 2017, 11:21:04 AM »
Hello all.
I just recently brought my 2003 xl7 to my local 4x4 shop to install OME (+1.25..) springs and a 2 inch spacer set i got from low range offroad. new cv axelshafts and seals, i got new camber adjustment bolts to help get it in line. over all ide say i got 4 inches of lift in the front and 4.5-5 in the rear. on 235 70 16s
  install went ok... they had to make some minor adjustments to the hub knuckle to get the strut to fit right so that camber would zero.
but now i have a new problem the front axelshafts are chewing or out of phase or something i get a lil bit of vibration when driving straight but more when turning right and left it feels like its going over a ribbed road.
So my main quedtion is....
Is there different axelshafts or lower control arms or hubs i should use and where do i get them?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:14:58 PM by gman7.62 »

Online fordem

Re: xl7 after lift adjustments
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 01:20:27 PM »
My recommendation would be to remove the spacers and run just the OME springs, along with OME struts & shocks.

If you want to run four inches of lift on these trucks, either do it with two inches of suspension lift and two inches of body lift, or else get a complete lift kit that deals with all the complications that result from a four inch lift, if you plan on piecing it together yourself make sure you have the experience to do so.

As far as I'm aware no one offers a complete kit for an XL-7, although there are Grand Vitara kits that might be useable.

The problem you're experiencing is caused by excessive angle on the CV joints and you're going to end up breaking them, the fix is to drop the front differential down to reduce the angle, but that creates a different issue - as the control arms droop, they pull the wheels inwards, reducing the angle of the CV axles has the effect of moving the outer end outwards - so you have the wheels moving inwards and the outer end of the axle moving outwards - the problem is - the outer end of the CV is attached to the wheel, so now you're forcing the axle to telescope into itself - the inner CV joint allows some degree of movement (it's termed "plunge") to allow for the changes in axle length as the suspension cycles, but it can only permit so much movement - exceed that and the joint will break.  The fix for that is a longer control arm that moves the lower end of the knuckle outwards and forwards - but how much outwards and forwards do you need it moved...

I've just touched the tip of the iceberg here, but I think (or I hope) I've given you enough that you can see what you're getting into - you want a supplier (and for that matter an installer) who has taken the time to put together a kit that addresses the issues, and will work with you to resolve whatever problems arise when you use their product as designed.

Please note that wording - I know for a fact that OME doesn't recommend spacers with their springs, and I'm pretty certain that the guys at Low Range Off Road don't market the combination of parts that you've installed for use together, so when you choose to combine them, you choose to be the "project design engineer" and you get to sort the issues out yourself.

One last thing - you don't need four inches of lift to clear 235/70R16 tires - I'm pretty certain it can be done with two and I suspect it can be done with no more lift than the OME springs alone will give you - I'm running 225/70s with no issues, and the only reason that's not 235/70s is they weren't available here when I was buying - save yourself the grief and expense and pull the spacers out.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline gman7.62

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 02:24:54 PM »
after days of trying to find diff drops and controll arms for it , that is tbe same solution i came up with.
i never said i needed 4 inches to clear the tires. it cleared them before the lift.
i spacer set from low range. i got the springs from ARB.
my fault for being ignorant

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 10:56:01 PM »
You can find diff drops and all sorts of other goodies on jimnybits and bits4vits. They have a surprisingly good selection considering they're out of the UK.
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper

Offline ktec

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 12:21:23 PM »
Here's my experience after a few issues after installing Rocky-Road's OME kit (OME struts + RR spacers).  The front spacers on the RR kit (only 1" or less) are ok to use with the struts and help preventing bottoming out, although extended bump stops are a good idea.
In the rear, unless you are carrying 300+lbs of cargo, I would just run springs because they constantly over-extend and slam the rear shocks when rebounding.

Another thing to note regarding axles.  I recently took my axles to be changed and bought replacements (both reman and new) from multiple part stores (oriellys, autozone).  The installer ended up taking off the boots to inspect after one new was binding. 
The OEM axles are a better design than ANY part-store replacement I got. How?  The part-store axles had 4 joints that bend and they would bind when angled too far.  The OEM had 6+ BALL joints and did not bind.  Totally different design underneath the boot.

Overall, I am disappointed with the Old Man Emu struts as I tore apart (Blown and shaft has 2" of play) with only a couple thousand miles and mild off roading.  Very lame. Also, Rocky Road Off Road kit sucks and I would avoid them.  Even their rear adjustable track bar is not made correctly.
https://youtu.be/8Ub5uBE7pUM
2006 XL-7 4wd