Hello Guest

Intermediate drive shaft removal

• 1 Replies

Offline TomU

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Intermediate drive shaft removal
« on: November 25, 2017, 07:51:59 AM »
My 87 Sami developed a vibration that worsened pretty quickly.  I checked for broken motor mounts, running gear supports and the driveline and found the universal joint at the transmission end of the intermediate shaft is shot.

I can see that it bolts to the flange where it attaches to the transfer case.  Searching the Net it looks like the other end is a splined shaft that slip fits into the rear of the transmission.  If that's true then it should be pretty easy to remove, fix and replace.

This is a new vehicle to me so before I screw something up I thought I'd ask if I'm missing something or if there is a gotcha doing this removal and reinsertion.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: Intermediate drive shaft removal
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 07:10:32 AM »
Yep, remove the 4 bolts at the t-case flange, drop axle down and slide out of transmission slip yoke.

There may be oil that wants to come out of the transmission when you do this.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!