Hello Guest

Power Steering Gear

• 4 Replies

Offline RJkick

Power Steering Gear
« on: December 08, 2017, 10:30:58 AM »
Went for an alignment and was told the steering gear has play in it.  Being an on and off road vehicle is this something I should take care of right away? Can it be rebuilt and if so is it a high skill set job or can a novice attempt it?  I'm a little skeptical since the first time I took it there I was told the tie rod needed to be changed which I did myself and now it is something else.  I'm starting to question my choice for an alignment at Big O tires

1992 4dr w\power steering
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Online fordem

Re: Power Steering Gear
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 03:10:49 PM »
The big question is where is the play - there are six "steering ends" which can have play, two on the center link, two tie-rods, and two tie-rod ends, the steering idler and the steering box itself - it should certainly be possible for you to determine where the play is, and the answer to that question will determine the urgency of the fix and what form the fix takes.

If it's the steering box I'm not certain that it can be rebuilt, anything else a novice can handle with limited guidance - essentially mark the tie-rod ends before removing them and count the number of turns so that the replacement can be fitted in the same approximate position so that the vehicle can be driven to the alignment shop.

It might be easier to replace them all in which case just match the lengths of the new to the old and then have it aligned.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline RJkick

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 11:02:59 AM »
Thanks for the input and I too used your logic.  I replaced the Inner and outer tie rods, center link, and ball joints.  The only thing left is the steering box right.  I think I saw a way to adjust the steering box but I may be incorrect.  It doesn't look that hard to remove and replace but I was leery of the Big O opinion as they first said tie rod on driver side and now that I replaced it they are going with the steering box.  The sales on the steering box seem to be for remanufactured which is why I asked about rebuilding.

PS - The 2 shops I went to wanted $1200 to $1700 to replaced centerlink and 1 tie rod to replacing everything I mentioned above.  Rockauto has way better parts pricing for better parts which ended up to be about $300.  Always check before doing anything at a shop since these days "The Computer" spits out a parts and labor cost rather than a mechanic making the call
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Offline RJkick

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 11:12:23 AM »
The FSM says you can adjust Steering Angle and Worm Shaft Preload torque

Online fordem

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 06:27:54 PM »
There is an adjustment, but you can't "adjust out" wear.

Regardless of the type of steering gear - rack & pinion, worm & sector, or recirculating ball - the majority of the wear is going to be around the "central" position - as you take up the adjustment, you will find that the steering becomes tighter as you increase lock and you'll reach a situation where the steering will no longer return to center properly.

The steering can be rebuilt, but it's going to be done by replacing the worn parts, which in most cases are not offered for sale separately - I've rebuilt racks personally when parts were available, but, I've never seen (possibly because I've never needed to look for) parts for the other steering boxes.

I'm in a situation somewhat similar to you - the rack on my GV has noticeable play - it's within the FSM spec, but noticeable, Suzuki doesn't offer the parts separately, and finding a RHD rack is challenging.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny