Hello Guest

Ride comfort

• 4 Replies

Offline WVzuk

Ride comfort
« on: December 24, 2017, 05:41:04 PM »
So I have a '94 4door Sidekick with the Zukination 3" lift and 30" Hercules trail digger tires.  I have hardly driven any other vehicles offroad so I don't have much basis for comparison.  Today my Dad and I went out exploring on some dirt roads that were rocky on the surface.  Like coblestone, small rocks the size of baseballs or less embedded into the trail everywhere with occasional embedded football sized rocks sticking up maybe 2-3 inches..  This made for a rough ride at any speed over 6-7 mph in most spots.  I aired the tires down to 12 psi and was afraid to go any lower.  I did air down in gradual progression.  16 psi for awhile, then 14, then 12.  At 12psi there was a noticable improvement and was able to go maybe 10mph.
I am fairly experienced offroad having taken my Zuk offroad many times over the last 7 years or so but I'm usually in muddier areas, rarely traveling so far on rocks.  I was daydreaming about a better ride all day.  I have heard Samurais ride worse but I've never been in one.  I wonder what a Jeep TJ on 33's aired down would ride like.  I love my Sidekick but man it would be nice to float fast over some of these cobblestone like roads.

1) How low would you dare to air down 30x9.5 mud tires on a 4 door Zuk?
2) What is the best riding set up you have experienced in a Tracker/Sidekick?
3) Are there any tires that would make a difference in ride quality?
4) Would removing the front swaybar help?
5) How well have some other rigs you've driven ride compared to the Sidekick?

Thanks

Jon
1994 4dr Sidekick: 3inch Zukination lift, 30x9.50 mud tires, snorkel, ARB rear locker, homemade bumpers

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: Ride comfort
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 09:01:54 PM »
Tire and wheel combo dictates how low you can go.  Tires vary a lot as well as wheels.  If the wheel has a pronounced inner bead to help hold tire in place, and if the tire is thick or thin, stiff or soft, little, too many variables to say for sure. There is some sort of rule of thumb formula but I can’t remember it.   You’d really need to blow one off a few times to know for sure.   It also depends how hard you wheel.  If you’re going straight through sand and need max float, you can go lower, but if you’re knocking up a rutted goat trail and slamming around, you might want higher pressure to keep the tire pushing back on hard knocks. 

Tire type can make ride vary a lot!  Lots of “mud tires” are designed for a wide range of vehicles including larger trucks, so they are often too heavy duty for small Suzuki.  Generally the lighter a tire weighs the better it will handle off road, with the downsides of weight capacity and cut resistance etc.   
also, the profile of the tire in relation to the wheel makes a huge difference.   If you pull a wide tire in with a narrow wheel, it will ride softer over obstacles because the sidewall is not a straight up and down line.  Narrow wheels with wide tires also help protect the wheel from rocks and curbs.  But high speed handling can be worse as the tire rolls back and forth on the rim. 

Having said all that, I think that football sized rocks are going to be noticed no matter what you drive.   
2003 Suzuki tracker 4d 5sp 2.0 “piglet”
Deleted air 4wd system, Manual hubs, 2” lift, 235/75,

Old ride: 1997 X90 “jellybean” best lil car I’ve ever had

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 12:25:33 AM »
I have run 5 psi in both 30x10.5x15 and 33x12.5x15 with no problems.
When running backroads for long distances I pull the valve stem until the air coming out stops whistling, then replace it.  Right about 10 psi every time.  I do this to soften the ride.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 04:58:00 PM »
In the road condition you are describing, I don't think you can expect much at all.  That sounds horribly rough, and a hovercraft is probably the only thing that is going to offer much by way of a soft ride.
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 08:28:15 PM »
I agree with the above comment. That being said, pulling your front swaybar out will definitely help because it will allow your front wheels to work independently rather than fighting eachother. And if you are running 10 ply (E-rated) tires it would not hurt at all to try a 6 ply (C-rated) tire. It is hard to find good off road tires that aren't made for bigger, heavier vehicles so the 6-plies pickings are slim, but BFG, Falken, and a few others still carry them.
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper