Hello Guest

My snorkel

• 34 Replies

Offline SnoFalls

Re: My snorkel
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2005, 07:51:44 AM »
I doubt it's any more restrictive than the stock assembly under the fender ... that stuff is a joke.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline zaggy

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2005, 09:00:32 AM »
SnoFalls
     You would be surprized. The longer the intake tube and the more times it turns the
more restrictive it is. But if you are gonna go through deep water and stuff it's a compromise you have to live with.
     Ever notice that Race cars have generally short air intake systems that seem huge for the size of engine.
     The other way to look at it is the volume of air that the engien moves...you zuk |removethispart|@ 3500 rpm is moving around 100 cubic feet of air per minute......thats a pile of airr to pull through a 2-3" tube.

Zag
92 Sidekick 4dr, Suzuki Powered Airplane

Offline tracker8wr

• THE BIGGER THE BETTER
    • my home page
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2005, 12:55:34 PM »
i lost my conversion formula for air restriction per GM motor corperation, but it was something like for ever 8" longer it must increas by 1" diameter. if i ran a 3" pipe my motor wouldn't know the differance but the only way to do that is to go through the side of the fender. for those of u who need a literal demonstration take 6' of garden hose and breath throght it and see how much harder it is than breathin trough a 6" hose. the ECM dose a pretty good job compensating but a top end it has a bad lag if u r cruisig and then punch it stalls for power them kicks back in. it does lag a little bit on bottom end from idle when accerlerating hard.
4 1/2 body
Coil spacers
cheap but effective
31" LTB Swampers
http://www.geocities.com/race8thwonder01/ http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/769479

Offline chet

• Zuki time!
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2005, 12:59:43 PM »
the loss is directly related to the friction of the pipe and the number of bends. Thats why you need to go larger the longer you get to over come those. The elbows are the worst though. long radius elbows would help that but would make fittting it harder.
1991 4 door kick, 2" coil spacers, 30" Coopers, winch, locker, rust, dents, etc.

Offline zaggy

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2005, 01:58:35 PM »
you guys are exactly right........it's a compromise to be able to ford deep water

Zag

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2005, 02:53:54 PM »
You have seen the stock "feeder" tube tho right? They are something like 2"x3/8" openings (2 of them if I recall), so that's around 1.5 square inches with lots of tight bends ... Also, the feed into the airbox is about 2" diameter (I'd pulled that stock feeder stuff long ago).

A 2" tube is around 6 square inches ... and with mine I have two reasonably long 90* and one 45*. The through the side of the fender types eliminate one 90* (but I'd snag that on a tree in no time).

I know mine is going to restrict more than a short pipe coming straight outta the hood (which is also an option  ;D ), but I fell better now knowing I can splash around in the mud without sucking up REAL nasty stuff!!!

Offline zaggy

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2005, 03:29:46 PM »
I agree with you SnoFalls
     Losing a couple of hp is alot better than hydraulicing the motor...by far

Zag

Offline tracker8wr

• THE BIGGER THE BETTER
    • my home page
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2005, 06:05:07 PM »
i run a snorkle also i am not saying it is a bad idea but that there r compromises and if it is ur daily driver u may want to make an easy way to disconect and reconnect it.
4 1/2 body
Coil spacers
cheap but effective
31" LTB Swampers
http://www.geocities.com/race8thwonder01/ http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/769479

Offline zaggy

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2005, 09:49:11 PM »
if you can find away to get the best of both worlds it is the best answer

Zag

Offline Mythose

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2005, 09:18:26 AM »
Just bring the pipe in directly off the top of the tbi into the back of the glove box.? then you could carry some ether arround and take the glove box out and have boost ;D
All things must start and end, the key is to not let them start and end in the same place.

Other rigs, 84 Sub 305 High output dana 44 front dana 60 rear turbo 350 tranny, 205 gear drive transfer, 10" lift 38.5 swampers

Offline Mythose

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2005, 09:19:00 AM »
Just bring the pipe in directly off the top of the tbi into the back of the glove box.? then you could carry some ether arround and take the glove box out and have boost ;D
All things must start and end, the key is to not let them start and end in the same place.

Other rigs, 84 Sub 305 High output dana 44 front dana 60 rear turbo 350 tranny, 205 gear drive transfer, 10" lift 38.5 swampers

Offline Guardrail

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2005, 12:44:25 PM »
Here's a thought for the top.  Make it so the opening sticks straight forward.  Put a 2"-3" adapter and a few inches of 3" pipe.  Then maybe even a 3"-4" adapter and a few inches of 4" pipe.  Make it into a "speed reactive supercharger". 

I was reading an article on Hi-po street bikes and the ram air intakes they came with from the factory.  The magazine (I can't remember which one it was) did an unscientific test on a dyno.  First, they ran several bikes on a dyno to get a baseline number.  Then they ran all of the bikes on the dyno again with a pipes connected to the ram air inlets and air blown down the pipes at 150 m.p.h.  The larger displacement bikes didn't experience as much of a power gain as the smaller displacement bikes because they were able to use more air than the fans were able to generate, but some of the smaller bikes gained as much as 10 h.p.  Not that you will gain 10 h.p., although you may because you are using a much larger opening, but I bet you pick up a few h.p.  Maybe even enough to offset what you are losing by having a snorkel in the first place.

Just think of it as a fart cannon on the intake side of the engine.
Can he say that here
Later,
Guardrail

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2005, 07:14:03 PM »
If I ever get to 150mph it will because I went over a cliff. It usually takes those sorta speeds for the ram effect to come into play (ricers will say different).

Anyway trail crawl is around 4 mph generally, so not much ram effect going on :)

Offline Guardrail

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2005, 09:02:39 PM »

Anyway trail crawl is around 4 mph generally, so not much ram effect going on :)
Yeah, but trail crawl isn't where you would need extra h.p., thats what low gearing and torque are for.  You might pick up 3-5 h.p. at 70mph on the freeway which is where you will need it. 

Besides, that kind of setup has the potential to look either BAD A**, or completely rediculas depending on your point of view.  If it were on Project Rockstar, it might look a little better than if it were on an otherwise nearly stock looking rig.
Can he say that here
Later,
Guardrail

Offline toolman21

• 89 Kick with 5" lift and 30's
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2005, 12:32:42 PM »
I have thought about building a hood with a hood scoop that is tied into the airbox, just not sure how I would keep water out driving in the rain.
Toolman