Hello Guest

Hard Top Rear Defroster

• 12 Replies

Offline lcann25

Hard Top Rear Defroster
« on: January 26, 2004, 10:17:08 AM »
Hello,  I just bought a hard top for my 91 sidekick.

The top has the factory rear defroster, but my rig doesn't have it (was bought new as a soft top)

what I am needing to know, is... how hard it is to hook up the rear defrost in my truck?  is the factory wiring for it already there in these trucks? or would it all need to be installed?
thanks for any help

Offline bandit86

• elv8rguy
Re: Hard Top Rear Defroster
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 11:10:18 AM »
Some pretty thick wire, a heavy duty switch tied to your ignition wire, and a ground wire.  Dont forget to turn it off when not needing it.  (factory has auto off on most cars)
TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO JEEP HAS GONE BEFORE!

Offline 87BlackSami

• http://www.quic kvwbug.4wdriver .com/
    • http://www.quickvwbug.4wdriver
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 12:13:11 PM »
Many vehicles use a standard harness. I would check behind the location where the switch would be. You may find the plug. Also check the other end by the door.
locked,5.8:1 Tcase, 5.12's, 35x12.5Xterrain's, 4" BDS L/O, Ford towers, 5-8" shackles w/reverse, tracbar, Yota P/S, diffs capped, skidplates, onboard air, fabbed bumpers & shafts, Herculined, airhorns

Offline UberAsuna

• Asuna Sunrunner 92'
    • Cranky's Ghetto My Website
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 12:34:51 PM »
i got a defrost on my Hard top  but i got no switch in the front what gives ??? is that normal ?? maybe its behind my dash but i never spoted it i know the cable goes to the back but i cant seam to find it in the front ..
any help plz ??
and if i find that cable what do i need to do to make it work ?
It's A Zuki Thing, Dig It Sucka ;) :D ;D

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 01:40:45 PM »
Some pretty thick wire, a heavy duty switch tied to your ignition wire, and a ground wire.  Dont forget to turn it off when not needing it.  (factory has auto off on most cars)

Beware of the XL7's (and possibly the Vitara's) as the switch is a button and it stays on the whole time the car is running, and after restart. It won't shut off unless you hit the button again. Same for the heated mirros. Now this is how I want my cruise to work. But it doesn't. Once it's on (not set for cruising just on), and you turn off the vehicle, it stays off.
Lenexa, KS

Offline Samurai_Hamster

• 87 Octane knocker of a motor.
    • Samurai Hamster
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 04:51:23 AM »

Beware of the XL7's (and possibly the Vitara's) as the switch is a button and it stays on the whole time the car is running, and after restart. It won't shut off unless you hit the button again. Same for the heated mirros. Now this is how I want my cruise to work. But it doesn't. Once it's on (not set for cruising just on), and you turn off the vehicle, it stays off.

Not so on the 2002......mine shuts off after 15 minutes and will shut off if I turn off the key
The Zuke is on its way out.  Getting a vehicle that will behave and be supported by the dealer.

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004, 05:55:32 AM »

Not so on the 2002......mine shuts off after 15 minutes and will shut off if I turn off the key

Cool, I'll need to figure out where the difference is. I'd prefer that over what I have. I'm thinking they somehow have the switches backwards between the cruise button and the rear window defrost button. One is on top of the other. But then this outside mirror heater switch is thrown in with same condition, on till turned off.
Lenexa, KS

Offline Samurai_Hamster

• 87 Octane knocker of a motor.
    • Samurai Hamster
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2004, 06:10:02 AM »
FYI mine is the vitara hamster built in Canada.  I drove an Esteem once, built in Japan, and the RWD did NOT shut off on that unit.
This couldbe due to where the rig is built.  The GV and XL 7 come from Japan
The Zuke is on its way out.  Getting a vehicle that will behave and be supported by the dealer.

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2004, 06:29:41 AM »
FYI mine is the vitara hamster built in Canada.  I drove an Esteem once, built in Japan, and the RWD did NOT shut off on that unit.
This couldbe due to where the rig is built.  The GV and XL 7 come from Japan

Sure, but got to figure, wire harness to be near same? If this is the case, then it's possible to change it. Anyone with a wiring diagram to show difference between the Canadian built and Japan built vehicles?
Lenexa, KS

Offline Z3bra

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2004, 07:19:49 AM »
If I remember correctly (book's at home, I'm at work) the wiring harness is there for the defroster on the soft tops because they both use the same one.  Should be a connector inside the tailgate somewhere that you'd have to follow back and splice into inside the fender for an aftermarket soft top or just make an extension to plug into it and velcro it to the pillar or something to route it up to where it attaches on the hardtop's defroster leads.

Order a defroster switch from the dealer or grab one at a junkyard and plug it in on the other end and you're in business with the same functionality the oem one has on the hard tops.

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2004, 12:55:45 PM »
If I remember correctly (book's at home, I'm at work) the wiring harness is there for the defroster on the soft tops because they both use the same one.  Should be a connector inside the tailgate somewhere that you'd have to follow back and splice into inside the fender for an aftermarket soft top or just make an extension to plug into it and velcro it to the pillar or something to route it up to where it attaches on the hardtop's defroster leads.

Order a defroster switch from the dealer or grab one at a junkyard and plug it in on the other end and you're in business with the same functionality the oem one has on the hard tops.

I have a 02 XL7 Japan-built. samurai_hamster has a 02 Vitara Canadian-built. We both have already the rear window defroster. Both are 4drs. Difference is my XL7 defroster will stay on anytime button is pushed on and vehicle is running. Only time it's off is when the button is pushed again. samurai_hamster has a timer on his lasting some 15 minutes. I'd prefer a timer.

Then I'd prefer my cruise to set on when button is pushed and stay on until button is pushed again. Currently I push button to set on. Once vehicle is shut off, it's no longer set on. It's set off. This is how I want the rear defroster to work.

Clear as mud?
Lenexa, KS

Offline Maiden Hell

• MAIDEN HELL!
    • My Space
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2004, 01:20:10 PM »
My 91 Sidekick was originally a rag top.  The previous owner bought a hard top with a defroster.  My Sidekick already had a button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel factory installed.  There is a wire that comes up from behind the back passenger side seatbelt harness that connects to the defroster element on the window.

It takes ULTRA long to defrost though, so I don't use it much. :-/

Offline NY_SIDEKICKER

• YOU WANNA RACE THE ZUKE !
    • OBSESSIVE BEHAVIOR !
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2004, 11:06:21 AM »

yea i shattered the rear window in my sammy when i hit the button on in the summer, and didn't know it. CAUSED THE WINDOW TO SHATTER BEING TOOO HOT. :-[
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 11:06:44 AM by NY_SIDEKICKER »