Hello Guest

What do I build next? (Decided)

• 36 Replies

Proud2BCDN

Re: What do I build next?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 04:31:49 PM »
I like the idea of the dropped road racer ;)

Offline zaggy

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2005, 04:28:27 AM »
     I'm kinda leaning toward the AWD road racer simply because I've never seen it done.
    It would also make a great test bed for engine mods as you could do 0-60 runs on any hiway rather than looking for a special place to test
    That or the Euro rally stye machine.

1BigTracker
    I always pre plan what I'm going to build so that I have time to scrounge parts (engine project excepted).

One of the reason's I'm leaning the way I am is that I have flares from one of my race cars, I have four point harnesses, low profile tires, lots of body parts for rust repair and a pile of experience in building RWD and FWD road racers. We also have my wifes 4dr that will be a good trail machine for what we do, especially after I get the 2.0 swap done.

Zag
92 Sidekick 4dr, Suzuki Powered Airplane

Offline Cwkick

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2005, 04:40:56 AM »
RallyKick!!!!!!!!!!

;D

Cwkick

Offline Mythose

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2005, 04:52:08 AM »
Rally with 4WIS!!
All things must start and end, the key is to not let them start and end in the same place.

Other rigs, 84 Sub 305 High output dana 44 front dana 60 rear turbo 350 tranny, 205 gear drive transfer, 10" lift 38.5 swampers

Offline Mythose

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005, 05:03:07 AM »
Take the 4.12 out of the an automatic, match them up with the motor you build and a manual tranny, get a little more topend  8) 8)  Scrap or sell the rear end, and just get Reversed gears for a front end "not a necessity, but it will last longer with the pinion on the upper side of the ring gear"
and move it to the REAR, just have to make some Brackets and do a bit of welding to get the front end attached to the arse end, Either make 4 wheel steering, or weld the stearing  
knuckels so they are straight " if you do this I recomend  Rienforceing them, or building new arms, "really easy, just mock up with cardboard"  Or you can make a Ti-rod and conect one end to the frame and the other to the steering arm.  
I wish i had the resources to do this, i would then Chop a kick body, put an air dam on the hood, to make it slim.cut the back down mount the spar inside the rear,  it might not be a crawler, but  you could HAUL but!!

you know take about 2 inches out of the side panels and doors,  then lower it a bit with some kinda stiff shocks, and with 4wis you could adjust you toe for all 4 wheels,  and make that sucker coner like it was on a rail!!

ahh man that would rock
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 05:07:06 AM by mythose »
All things must start and end, the key is to not let them start and end in the same place.

Other rigs, 84 Sub 305 High output dana 44 front dana 60 rear turbo 350 tranny, 205 gear drive transfer, 10" lift 38.5 swampers

Offline Mythose

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2005, 05:20:57 AM »
Zig think about the 4WIS i could help you out with some of the desgin, i can measure the back fram of my track, and get mesurement for the front and give you an ideal of what would need to be done,  and 4WIS would kik on the road and on off the road!  But the transfer cas has low range gears in event in 4H, should get a swift tranny and mount the motor sideways, ahh then put the 4:12 gears in bet you could see some serious speed, and it would be altime allwheel drive.

but its your project but i will help with as much of the drawing / calculating as I can.  might be able to get it mocked up in solid works, and send you a rendering for the computer.

but i dont know how much you want to do, but the more ive been thinking of this, im gona have a talk with my machinest buddy, and see if he wants to go in with me to build a rally buggy based on a kik. Maby with my floating 4WIS,  but i want it to haul but and crawl,  i duno im looking for parts, prices but LOL last thing i need is anouther project at the moment.  

Offline LawDog

• Lakeview Motor Sports' Makin it Hert! Tell u whut!
    • Emerling Chevrolet
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2005, 07:09:52 AM »
I'm all about the rally model too, go for it!! The fully independent set up would definetly require some planning, but should be feasible and more than worth the time and effort.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 07:10:17 AM by LawDog »
"I'm the Law 'round here" said the Duckshirt.

Get a Zuk, Get it dirty, Git-R-Done!!

At Lakeview Motor Sports we specialize in rediculousness, hackdome, and wasting your time.

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2005, 07:23:30 AM »
i'm gonna diagree with the folks who say go wild ...

put the build into the rusty kick, do the budget lift (spacers and BL), and go beat the piss outta it.

treat it as a test bed for the motor and have loads of fun for little $$$.

never know you might like grounded pucker factor :)

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline Mythose

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2005, 07:29:37 AM »
hay put the motor in it beet the piss out of it then make it into somthing diffrent, rinse and repeat. but the AWIS would be kik arse, and would take lots of planing but i dont thing that much money, if you reused all the zuk parts you could, and just bought the gears, maby 500, but like i said befor, revers gears will just make it stronger, lots of people are running front diffs in the rear, without reversing the gears.

Offline Mythose

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2005, 07:51:25 AM »
you could also cut the rear axel, and make a linked axel out of it and not event have CVS in the back. but that requires lots of skill with welder and saw / torch  be easer just to revers the front end onto the rear flip it and weld it to the Frame,  and replace the gears when they brak.

Offline 1bigtracker

• F*** trail rated, try trail tested
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2005, 09:35:26 AM »
i'm gonna diagree with the folks who say go wild ...

put the build into the rusty kick, do the budget lift (spacers and BL), and go beat the piss outta it.

treat it as a test bed for the motor and have loads of fun for little $$$.

never know you might like grounded pucker factor :)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i like that.  and i think if you where going to test the engine and more mods after, you would want to keep it as simple as you could to get accurite(sp) results.

stu

Offline zaggy

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2005, 04:42:09 AM »
Hey Guys thanks for all the input....

After talking with the family heres the direction the fleet is going...

1) Wifes 4dr
-  2.0L swap that I'm already building the parts for.
  (have already)
-  Little bigger tires (already have)
-  Skid plates (fabricate)
-  Some mean lights (fog and driving, already have)

This one will be the daily driver/trails and camping

2) Daughter's 2dr/2WD Soft top
    (already started, my 13yr old is doing as much work
     as me so she appreciates what she gets and
     knows how to fix it)
-  1.6/16v rebuilt, balanced/blueprinted, port matched
   intake mods, header and some other light weight stuff
   ( will use the one from wife's 4dr)
-  Lowered to 6" rocker panel clearance
-  Power steering (already have)
-  Modified KYB shocks
-  Double front sway bars, fabricate
-  Custom rear sway bar, fabricate
-  15X6" fronts with 195-50-15's (already have)
-  15X8" rears with  215-50-15's (already have)
-  Airdam, rear IMSA style body flares, fabricate

This one is about 18months or more from being done as she HAS to work on it with me and is only worked on when she has time after homework and everything else.
  I think it will be a great first car, handle well and be cheap to run.

My project after much deliberation is going to be Dad's cheap skate test bed......

Pro Rally style.....
           I really like the name Rally-Kick!

Here's the reasoning.....

- Gonna have a good trail rig for the kinda stuff we do.
- Daughter is gonna have the Slammer
- Dad should get to have some fun!
- Car Club here has several Pro Rallys each spring
- Can still be an awesome trail rig.
- I like stiff good handling little rigs

The Plan....
- "do it yerself engine" exactly from the build up. (done)
- Body dropped a little (opposite of body lift), lower CofG
- Lowered a couple inches all around, lower CofG
- Double front sway bars, decrease body roll, fabricate
- Custom rear sway bar, decrease body roll, fabricate
- Modified KYB Rally Gas shocks
- Manual steering
- P215-60-15 Agressive All seasons (used)
- 4.62:1 gears front and rear
- Remains 4WD
- Locker when money permits (used)

- Interior gutted and Rhino Lined (the do it yerself stuff)
- Stock dash with tach and auxillary guages (already
  have)
- Lightweight front buckets with 4 points (already have)
- NO rear seats
- Roll Cage, fabricate, DIY
- Doors gutted, DIY
- Pexi windows, worked with straps and clips DIY
- Aluminum inner door panels DIY
- Basic am-fm-cassette (already have)
- Body repairs as needed (do it yerself)
- Old style Mustang GT bolt on hood scoop, functional
- Interior color Zinc chromate, DIY
- Exterior Olive drab based camoflauge, DIY
- 4 Driving lights across roof roll bar, Olive Drab
- 4 Fog lights across top of front bumper, Olive Drab

- Full front to rear skid plates
- Possible Roo Bar style front bumper

I think this should be a great on-off road driver, I'll be able to do a little Pro Rally stuff. Not lowering it too much and skid plating the bottom front to rear should mean there ain't many obstacles that will be a problem for decent 4x4 work, within limits.
    I'll be able to go to the Drag strip to get accurate 1/4 mile times for testing and results. I might even be able to do a little Solo 1/ Solo 2 slalom stuff.
    Thanks to Prd2BCdn I've got a base chassis, I've got most of the parts and I should be able to really cheap skate this one together over a few months using maximum used and fabricated from stuff in the shop parts.
    I think I can do this one over the fall for very/very little money if I'm lucky. It won't be a show car but it will be presentable and fun.

The goal is to match the weight of a stock base model Track/Kick and use as a test bed for engine perf stuff. As well as enter events that are being run around here.
    But if my business every gets good I'll be able to come down and do some 4x4 trails with the gang down South, with something different.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions.....

Should we do this as another "Build up" thread?

Zag
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 05:41:41 AM by zaggy »

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2005, 04:51:52 AM »
Well the Turbo SideKick  needs a little
fixxin up could you  .........

;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 04:52:21 AM by wildgoody »
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline zaggy

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2005, 04:58:59 AM »
Don' knock it you've got me thinkin turbo eventually...

Zag

Offline bus_driver

• the voices tell me different things
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2005, 06:38:53 AM »
i like big tacks idea a normal everyday trail rig that could go mud or obstacle or rocks not amazing on all but good all round.....stay IFS tho....(i think we have to prove something)  but quality and reliable
92 2dr soft top
2-1/4" cherry bomb exhaust
235/75/15
2 inch lift
custom mud