Hello Guest

mazda v6

• 23 Replies

Offline zaggy

Re: mazda v6
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2005, 04:19:02 AM »
     Hey that is a screaming deal on the Probe, I buy salvage all the time ( I'm in the biz) and up here you can't touch one of those thats any good for 3 times that.

I've had several of those engines out and FWIW they are not the same longblock as the the Zuk from looking at them.
    It's a straight Mazda engine, big brother to the one from the MX-3 Precidia, as a matter of fact thats an easy swap the 2.5V6 for the 1.8V6 in the Mazda's.
    From the auto biz perspective it is a popular motor and does have a rep for popping the bottom end, but considering all the young buck ricer types driving them I guess that should not be a surprize.
    They are not light I haven't weighed one but from throwing them around the shop I would guess they are in the 4-500lb range. Tough install with all the electronics
    There used to be a place called Kennedy Engine Products in Wash/Oregon that made adapters for darn near anything into darn near anything they might be a good source for an adapter, their stuff was good. Sorry I don't have more info.

Zag
92 Sidekick 4dr, Suzuki Powered Airplane

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2005, 05:18:47 AM »
zag ...

maybe you're thinkin the 90* mazda v6 ... the 2.5 60* is supposedly lightest v6 in it's class. I saw some engine weight table (dunno where now) that listed it a 220lbs (aka very similar to the zuk v6.

here's the link where someone used one in a bja bug ... http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/Big%20Bad%20Baja%20-%20Part%202.pdf

P.S. in that link he has "The V6 weighs in at 176kg with
absolutely everything on it, as opposed to maybe
120kg for a fully dressed type 1 motor."

so 176kg == 387lbs ... 123lbs more than a VW ...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 05:31:09 AM by SnoFalls »
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2005, 05:26:56 AM »
u did say buggie right do like the pros and rear mount it with the trans axle facing front to rear. order ur custom shafts and hook it up to the front and rear axle no t-case so less parts to break it would be awsume. there is a guy that runs u-roc that has this setup with a saturan motor and trans. u have to revers the front or rear r&p but all u have to get is the donor car and no adapters. u said a buggie so u will have to tow it anyway so it dosen't have to go 100 mph anyway. i am assuming it is a rock buggie. but that is just me thinking out of the box and cheep as possible yes u may have to rethink ur buggie design but it would look sweet.

I'd thought about turning in 90*, but didn't think about a mid mount (was fixated on front or rear mount). Hmmm a bud used to desert race, I'll have to see what he thinks. Mid mount, using the transaxel as the "transfer" might be very cool. I know next to nothing bout transaxles ... I guess it could be welded solid to eliminate the differential ... shaft lengths might be tricky too (I wanna stay around 102" max wheelbase) and gotta have some room fro the pilot :)

Very cool idea tho.

Offline zaggy

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2005, 05:30:27 AM »
Snofalls

I've got one ready to sell in my back shop and just went back and shoved it around....no way 220lbs, It's a 94 2.5 dohc from a Probe GT.

Zag
92 Sidekick 4dr, Suzuki Powered Airplane

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005, 06:24:04 AM »
yea, I found in that one link fully dressed weighs in at 387lbs ...

Still that's "light" for a v6 :)

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2005, 10:55:23 AM »
The Mazda V6 was fitted to European models BUT it was the 2ltr engine and AFAIK is not the same block as the 2.5. It was fitted to the Euro version of the Sidekick Sport (we didn't get the 1.8 version).
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2005, 04:32:05 AM »
They could be using a different trans too,
you never know about the running gear
when you get into other countries of manufacture
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2005, 06:56:08 AM »
They could be using a different trans too,
you never know about the running gear
when you get into other countries of manufacture

Gearbox is the same but bellhousing is different
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2005, 07:31:17 AM »
A removable bell housing, hmm
Makes me wonder what other trans
those go into, so you get a selection of
bellhousings, so what engine do we want
to install ???
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.