Hello Guest

Hybrid or gear swap opinions pole

• 8 Replies

Offline prairie_dog

• 85/413 tin top
Hybrid or gear swap opinions pole
« on: July 21, 2005, 09:26:37 PM »
 I'm waiting for the shop to set up my gears so I can put the sami back on the road.

Some people & suppliers say the hybrid is the way to go, bigger stronger rear end and about the same money by the time your done doing just a gear swap

Some people & suppliers say the hybrid is a waste cause you still have the same axles & they usually will break before the ring & pinion do, so you spend money beefing up the wrong stuff.

I'm of the second opinion myself, I've seen many axles give up before the gears & if the gears are toast it's usually cause the axles let go sending pieces into the gears

That's my.02, what's yours
Steve
When this thing hits 88 MPH your gonna see some serious sh!t (hahaha)

Offline zaggy

Re: Hybrid or gear swap opinions pole
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 07:24:48 AM »
You know
     I've been in the Auto Wrecking business since before Suzuki and this is the only place I've heard of Suzuki axles breaking.
     Now I fully appreciate I've lead a sheltered life when it comes to the kind of offroad so many of you get into...but. The Suzuki stuff is tough, Chevy and Ford both break axles in 2wd 1/2 tons on the street!
     I would think with all the details and plans you sent me on your rig Prarie Dog that you will be just fine staying all Suzuki.........and from the pics of what you do You're trail running and stuff...not the real extreme end.

Zag

92 Sidekick 4dr, Suzuki Powered Airplane

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 08:02:16 AM »
Was this a pole or a poll ???
 ;D

I have been thinking about a 30
spline replacement, tho i don't know
how long till I can figure it all out

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Wildweasel

• Git er Done!
    • Wildweasel's world
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 08:10:53 AM »
Well it depends on your type of wheeling. NEastcoast rocks and mud and west coast rocks seem to have the the saem failure points, (axles over 32" tires)  and when I had a hybred in the WW2 I snapped axles  and usally took out the rear sidegears/diff gears when the axle shattered.
thats why I went Toy axles in the next project.

The midwest guys and the southern boys seem to get away with the Over 32" on stock axles alot better due to the nature of the wheeling down there.  (more MUD)  If you go to Zukimelt you can see this in the trucks.  US North east guys showed up with 33's on stock/hybreds and couldn't belive
folks where running 35" tires on stock axles. 

And I am amazed that suzuki axles hold up as well as they do also , but you have to remember they where designed for! only 27-28: tires not the abuse we put on them.
Glenn
91 geo tracker, Toyota axles, twin tcases,35's too many mods to list.

Offline JasonPugh

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 02:07:48 PM »
I just broke my first set of rear axleshafts at the melt.  The long side sheared (exploded) and the short side twisted splines.  This was with 33's and a lot of abuse, I was testing a new traction bar and wanted to makesure the design was good.  I ruthlessly hammered my sammy that weekend and she finaly popped on saturday afternoon.  The good news is the traction bar works really good.

Offline tracker8wr

• THE BIGGER THE BETTER
    • my home page
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 02:32:31 PM »
pickup a set of toyota axles it will be ceaper than a gear swap and they have 4.10 gear ratios in them not the 3.73 like sammi. reduce the t-case to 5:1 or 6.5:1 and run 35" tires. i found a set of 84 yota axles for $150 yesterday. they r out there for cheap u just have to look.
4 1/2 body
Coil spacers
cheap but effective
31" LTB Swampers
http://www.geocities.com/race8thwonder01/ http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/769479

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 03:37:53 PM »
You know
     I've been in the Auto Wrecking business since before Suzuki and this is the only place I've heard of Suzuki axles breaking.
Zag

If you only drive them on road then the front axle isn't an issue. Like Wildweasel said they are designed for 27" tyres without an aggresive tread pattern. The wheels have to spin because there is no centre diff, as soon as you fit MTs and/or go larger the strain on the drivetrain increases dramatically. In reality they take a lot of abuse, just not enough for most of us.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline zaggy

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 03:48:51 PM »
Thanks Rhinoman
     You're right about the difference between std use and 4X4, that's why I added the cavet about not been a real 4X4 expert....but it still amazes me.

Zag
92 Sidekick 4dr, Suzuki Powered Airplane

Offline Rollerskate

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 10:14:45 PM »

Some people & suppliers say the hybrid is the way to go, bigger stronger rear end and about the same money by the time your done doing just a gear swap

Some people & suppliers say the hybrid is a waste cause you still have the same axles & they usually will break before the ring & pinion do, so you spend money beefing up the wrong stuff.

That's my.02, what's yours
Steve

Run the hybrid with Calmini shafts or if you can afford an ARB locker you can use 27 spline shafts.
I never asked for nothing and thats all I got.