Hello Guest

automatic transmission swap

• 15 Replies

Offline kiki

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
automatic transmission swap
« on: July 26, 2005, 10:50:59 AM »
HI .  I HAVE A 90 TRACKER 3 SPEED  AUTOMATIC WITH  4.62 RATIO  AND 90 SIDEKICK WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSION  5.12 RATIO  (  THE  QUESTION  IS   CAN I  SWAP THE  AUTOMATIC ONE
INTO THE SIDEKICK  AND  IT IS WORTH  OR BETTER. IAM RUNNING  33X12.5X15  ANYTING SHOULD NOW BEFORE DOING THAT   ::)

Offline zaggy

Re: automatic transmission swap
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 02:44:36 PM »
Hi there....FWIW

I don't think ones better or worse...it's more a case of what you want. If they are equal units why would you swap at all?
     If the Tracker is the keeper why not just swap the 5.12 diffs into it and get some torque back and your speedo closer to correct.

Something for you to think about anyway...

Zag
92 Sidekick 4dr, Suzuki Powered Airplane

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 03:01:19 PM »
Unless there is some sort of other problem with the automatic truck that you haven't mentioned, it would be easier to swap the dif gears.

Swapping Dif gears require only the pulling of the rear axles and half-shafts on the front (the passenger side may require some disassembly of the suspension before the third members can be removed (TracKick Difs are "free floaters" -- no C-clip in the dif. to remove) for swapping.  Swapping third members is pretty much a no-brainer.   Minor disassembly and reassembly.

Swapping the Automatic Transmission requires the swapping of all kinds of stuff including linkages, some harness stuff AND, I think, the ECM.  You'll have to take detailed notes on where everything was removed from and where it goes on the other vehicle.

If you are trying to improve the Automatic truck, I'd cannabalize the Manual truck before I'd swap transmissions.

Note:  Just my opionion -- Like nose hairs everyone has them.  Your Mileage may vary... 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 05:06:16 PM by ack »
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 03:39:36 PM »
Yes it can be done but as has been suggested just swap the diff gears unless there are other reasons for wanting/needing to do the swap. The auto in conjunction with the 5.125 diff ratios will be much better given the tire size you're running. No, the ECM doesn't need to be swapped as the 3spd auto is not connected to a computer unlike the later 4spd.

Offline zaggy

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 03:48:46 PM »
CJ

As I just found out the hard way there are programing differences between auto and standard over here, has to do with idle speed and emissions...mix them and the engine light won't go out and you can't pass emissions...believe it or not mix Canada and US and the damn thing won't even run....why oh why do they make life so difficult.

Zag
92 Sidekick 4dr, Suzuki Powered Airplane

Offline cj

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 04:09:33 PM »
I suppose it's called individuality  ::) Every country has to do it differentl.y

Offline biker

• It's a sickness I tell ya
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 07:30:13 PM »
I just recently completed this swap on my 91 tracker. I got a 3spd auto of unknown origin(assuming it was a local truck) and swapped my t-case off the standard onto the auto and bolted it in. I used a shifter from a 94 OD tranny and installed an external tranny cooler. The only connection to the truck other than bolts was to run a vacuum line for the modulator. the tranny works flawlessly and I haven't noticed any change in drivability other than if I try to take off without letting the motor warm a bit it is a bit boggy at first. I didn't hookup the kickdown as the 5spd TB doesn't have provisions for the cable. I run the equivalent of 33 in tires and find it a lot nicer to drive both on and off the road. I have no gear reductions and am running the stock 5.12 gears. Climbing rocks etc is much easier as I can just give it enough gas to keep the tires turning instead of keeping the rpm's where it won't stall and risk breakage.
94 Kick with bigger tires
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline SuzukHunter

• CAN YOU SEE ME NOW??
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 09:55:47 PM »
i agree biker,i have done the same thing. cj i dont know how your auto is hooked up but my auto is hooked into the wiring harnessand the ecm has to be transfered over as well. not to hard to do just a little mechanical skill and a little patience.

Offline kiki

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 09:46:15 AM »

HI .  I DID SOME RESEARCH  ON AUTOMATIC TRANSMISION  AND  APPARENTLY WHEN YOU

DO CRAWL CALCULATION    ,YOU HAVE TO TAKE IN CONSIDERATION  THE  TORQUE

CONVERTER  GOT MORE TORQUE   IN FIRST GEAR  (1.5 TO 2)TIME  EXEMPLE

AUTO FIRST GEAR  2.40 X1.75 =4.20 X 4.24 TRANS X 5.12 =91.18 CRAWL RATIO THAT PRETY

GOOD  DID YOU KNOW THEY USED THIS TRANSMISSION IN DIFFERENT  CAR AND TRUCK
 (3 SPEED AUTO 3L30:LIKE FEW ONE  BUICK -JAGUAR XJS,XJ12 80-92 AND MORE (4 SPEED AUTO 4L30E) LIKE ISUZU AMIGO 90 UP ,RODEO 91-98 .TROOPER 90-98 .BMW 321 323 328 525 528 Z3 ROADSTER 91 UP , HONDA PASSPORT 94 UP ACURA SLX 98-98

ANYWAY  THANKS  EVERY ONE  ;)

Offline cj

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 03:06:04 PM »
i agree biker,i have done the same thing. cj i dont know how your auto is hooked up but my auto is hooked into the wiring harnessand the ecm has to be transfered over as well. not to hard to do just a little mechanical skill and a little patience.

Haven't heard of a 3 speed auto that is connected to the ECM. What did you get it out off?

Offline biker

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 10:34:41 PM »
The only thing that would be hooked into the harness would be the nuetral safety switch and I think it's an oil temp or level sensor on the left side of the tranny.
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 11:37:31 PM »
The other designation for that trans is a TH180
and there might be a connection for the torque
convertor lockup

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline zooky

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 05:10:06 AM »
The only thing that would be hooked into the harness would be the nuetral safety switch and I think it's an oil temp or level sensor on the left side of the tranny.
that is the torque converter lock-up, you dont need it, they dont work half the time anyways

Offline biker

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 08:33:27 AM »
Here's a way out there idea, could a person hook the TC lockup wires to a switch and activate it manually, might be better for highway driving. Does it take 12v or is it a signal from the ECM?
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline cj

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 03:22:10 PM »
Yes it can be done but some autos like the 4spd in the Kick will only lock up in 2, 3 & 4 as they also need mods to the valve body to lock it up in first.