Hello Guest

stock muffler or glasspack for best mpg?

• 8 Replies

Offline aumtracker

• the worm is the spice
stock muffler or glasspack for best mpg?
« on: July 27, 2005, 04:39:51 PM »
hay i havre a glass pack on my tracker would i get better mpg with stock ??? or may be calmini whats the scoop      and what about cone filter intakes  help 

Offline Agent Orange

• Trying to learn
Re: stock muffler or glasspack for best mpg?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 06:00:51 PM »
not sure if you'd get better mileage but i would be quieter  ;D

Offline hcgalvin

• Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
    • Granite Path
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 07:27:12 AM »
never really saw a mileage improvement either way with mine. It sure sounds like a Cessna now though haha... (I have a cherry bomb)
Heather Galvin
2005 GV with Zuki Nation 4.5" Lift.
Sidekick's gone... Still have Bob's Knob.

Offline jagular7

• Jagular7
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 08:11:55 PM »
I've heard that before you toss the bomb in, you take old oil and 'soften' the fiberglass within. Once the oil gets hot enough the fiberglass breaks down, and basically you just have gotten an echo chamber....... down throttle could be heard miles away...lol
Lenexa, KS

Offline zaggy

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 09:30:32 AM »
Stock muffler is very restrictive...

Glass packs suck (my opinion, I don't like the sound they make), good quality Turbo type gives a nice sound and less restriction.

Zag
92 Sidekick 4dr, Suzuki Powered Airplane

Offline Blasted

• Yea.. its a Kick.. Keep dreamin.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 10:02:49 AM »
I just put on a "silver bullet" glass pack last month..  hehhe it sounds too cool to do less than 4500 rpm shifts.. so my fuel mileage has suffered, but I cant stop laughing. Its worth it to me. I still have the Cat in place so its not to noisy.  Fuel milage when Im driving nice is about the same as before.  The pack makes it easier to wheel though, theres less for tree stumps and rocks to grab. The turbo muffler I had on before didnt last 6 months, it was beat, and punctured.
93 Sidekick 2Dr.  2"body lift.  30" Tires. 1.5" Coil spacers. 4 door coils. 2"strut spacers. K&N Factory replacement filter. 2.25" Cat back, with glass pack.  Custom ground High torque Cam shaft. And CB for talkin trash.

Offline toolman21

• 89 Kick with 5" lift and 30's
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 02:21:28 PM »
I actually have a 3" 2 chamber big block flowmaster on mine, with header, and 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 pipe.  Yeah sounds crazy, but the muffler was free at the time ( we lost the driveshaft in a drag car destroyed the mate to the muffler) and it actually sounds pretty good in fact, not as loud as you think it might be...nice deep tone.
Toolman

Offline dsumers

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 10:12:00 PM »
I don't think there would be enough difference between them in fuel economy to tell.  I can tell you that after several hours on the trail, the loud glass pack gets bothersome to  listen to all day.  In the northwest glasspacks are highly illegal off road and you will get a ticket.  I would suspect the same would be true in all forested areas.

TXZUKI07

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 11:00:44 AM »
I'm rinning open pipe from the cat back ;D. Sounds awsome and I get better gas milage but the old muffler was flattened, so I'm not sure.

Joe