Hello Guest

calmini header amd system

• 23 Replies

Offline aumtracker

• the worm is the spice
calmini header amd system
« on: July 28, 2005, 05:08:58 PM »
hi there all any one have calimini's full system on there tracker my buddy said it would give me alot better mpg  is this true and how loud are they i dont want to draw to much attention to my self just want better mpg  help me out

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
Re: calmini header amd system
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 05:45:12 PM »
I don't have the full system, but I do have the header. You MPG will vary depending on your driving habits. The system will give you a little more power as felt by snappier response and better acceleration. If you actually USE this power, though, your mileage wont increase much. It will help some though. I think it's worth it for the increase in power... As for the noise, it will be louder than stock, but not attention-getting loud...
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline aumtracker

• the worm is the spice
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 06:12:05 PM »
hi thanx for the info i also heard that the headers get realy hot  did you have more heat ??

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 06:20:19 PM »
I never noticed any temp increase, even while crawling around the woods at 2 MPH...
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline Bobzooki

• Web Wheeler
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 08:16:14 AM »
hi thanx for the info i also heard that the headers get realy hot  did you have more heat ??

Dude.  They're bolted onto the side of the engine, where the just-exploded gasoline comes belching out of the cylinders.  Of COURSE they get hot.  Don't touch 'em, you'll leave skin behind.

More heat?  Well, it's not like they make the engine run any hotter.  They're just piping all that heat OUT of the engine.  I have full Calmini systems on both my 95 Sidekicks (2 door and 4 door).  They have a little more "zip", and I use it all, so the mileage stays about the same.  No, there's no heat problem.  They aren't loud, either.  In fact, after a day od wheeling with a friend in her TJ, we stopped - my engine was still running.  She had to ask if it was running (we were near the Interstate).
Bob

Tahoe 24' Fish-N-Fun Tritoon
115 HP Mercury outboard

Offline aumtracker

• the worm is the spice
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 04:44:02 PM »
glad to hear theres no heat problem  im saving my pennies cant weight to get mine

Offline mth712

• Bought a new 86 Sammy in Ca. as they were unloadn'
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 07:12:03 PM »
I just installed a DT Header , new cat,muffler and 2 inch exhaust and it is alot louder and hotter under the head. It was raining the other day and the water was drying/steaming on my hood now. Sorry you got a few SmartA-- answers.
Thanks,

Mike

Offline mth712

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 07:13:32 PM »
I think my off the line power sufferred but my mid-range and Highway power feels better,pulls harder. Low range seems to be a turd.
Thanks,

Mike

Offline aumtracker

• the worm is the spice
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 05:58:07 AM »
thanx mike  lots of smarta-- answers  like ni didnt know that the pipes got hot

The_Dude

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005, 07:39:31 AM »
Do you guys ever check the "gear guide section" It's at the top of every page. I was going to spend money on a header this would be the one to buy especially if your concerned about the heat thing..

http://www.zukiworld.com/month_110103/feature_hawkheader.htm

The_Dude

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 07:43:14 AM »
Was just on Hawks site and he doesn't have those headers listed yet so you may just want to drop him a call. I was checking things out in his auto section and he has a bad ass sammy for sale and a whole car section of sammies and sidekicks cheap .. I didn't know this and thought I would pass it along as I found it informational

http://www.hawksuzukiparts.com/sales/index.html

Offline zaggy

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 09:19:55 AM »
Good Morning all...

When it comes to exhaust the answer is simple....anything you do to reduce back pressure will increase efficency.

1) I use the Calmini header (modified) and it is a good piece, but do some comparison
    shopping. Make sure what ever you get has thick exhaust tohead flanges, correctly shaped
    ports and no kinks in the bends.
2) If you are worried about heat in the engine bay spend a few bucks and buy a good header
    wrap and put it on the header before you install it. Much more effective than a heat shield.
3) I would run a minimum of a 2 1/8 id exhaust with a quality Turbo muffler (and a cat
    depending on where you live). I run this set up on my wifes 4dr and its qiet and efficent.
4) Install a minimum of a KN (or eqvialent) aircleaner insert at the same time, there is NO
    point in opening up the exhaust and leaving a cork in the intake.

Myth....having read all your posts, you still have engine problems and your results are
            not indicative of a header/exhaust install.

There is a lot of really good information on the forum, the search feature is great! Many of the members have a lot of knowledge to share...read back a little. Check out all the great stuff on building engines, engine modifications from spacers to camshafts, and fantastic stuff on suspensions.

A little advice.....I was a newbie only a few months ago, read back and use the search feature please, tons of stuff has been covered in detail...and don't get excited, I saw some joking on this thread but nothing I would consider smart a**.
    Everyone else....remember when you were a newbie? Because we can't hear voices and see faces sometimes humourous sarcasim coulld be interperted as being nasty, I'm not saying that has happened here, but I can see how it could happen.

Thanks guys

Zag
92 Sidekick 4dr, Suzuki Powered Airplane

Offline mth712

Re: calmini header and system
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 12:24:32 PM »
Not saying it was mean sprited smart a__ answers but sometimes a person asks a simple question and wants a simple answer. We all know exhaust manifolds get hot but he wants to know if a header is hotter than a factory setup and I promise you yes it is. For one thing the metal is thinner and no heat shields. Also the heat soak of the cast stock manifold is higher. My hood now dries the rain off of itsself due to the heat.
    In all reality if I did it again I would buy all new original equipment. I mean this is a low horsepower vehicle. A header, intake etc. just isn't going to make it much better/faster only louder. I am talking for a daily driver.
    The only difference I see with the header and 2 inch exhaust is a change in the torque curve. A shift to mid range/highway torque atleast with the Thorley header,more heat,more noise. I miss the low range torque but like the easier revving on the highway. If you are on trails alot I would want the low range torque. Oh and port matching a header on a 80 horse engine just ain't worth it and will not matter or you will not feel it. I would get whatever header has good reviews probably the Thorley or Calmini. I got the Thorley cause Summit has it and they have it now and are reliable.
    Remember my tip - If you want it to look purty clean it off good with something to remove greasy finger prints before you start the first time or it will show those fingerprints forever. Also header wrap is for rich race car drivers who can afford to replace headers alot. It will kill your header on a street car. Better to fab a heat shield.
Thanks,

Mike

Offline mth712

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 12:27:15 PM »
Do you guys ever check the "gear guide section" It's at the top of every page. I was going to spend money on a header this would be the one to buy especially if your concerned about the heat thing..

http://www.zukiworld.com/month_110103/feature_hawkheader.htm

Yes - The hawk header has no O2 Sensor bung and is expensive for what you get. But he does have them in stock. Not a good choice for a EFI Tracker with O2 sensor and EGR in my opinion.
Thanks,

Mike

Offline mth712

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 12:32:02 PM »

There is a lot of really good information on the forum, the search feature is great! Many of the members have a lot of knowledge to share...read back a little. Check out all the great stuff on building engines, engine modifications from spacers to camshafts, and fantastic stuff on suspensions.

A little advice.....I was a newbie only a few months ago, read back and use the search feature please, tons of stuff has been covered in detail...and don't get excited, I saw some joking on this thread but nothing I would consider smart a**.
    Everyone else....remember when you were a newbie? Because we can't hear voices and see faces sometimes humourous sarcasim coulld be interperted as being nasty, I'm not saying that has happened here, but I can see how it could happen.

Thanks guys

Zag

Hey Zag - Not only did I use the search from day one but I have read every single post as far back as I was allowed on this site and several others. On one site it was over 20,000 posts and I read them all. These forums are the number one best thing there is about the internet! Someone else has usually had the same problem or asked the same question on everything. The header heat thing has been discussed but what the heck who cares lets tell him about it.
Thanks,

Mike