Whine in gear

• 4 Replies

Offline roeman

• 1994 sammy!
Whine in gear
« on: August 06, 2005, 07:33:59 AM »
Hi,

I have a 1994 sammy,

When i am driving in gear there is a loud whine (high pitch hum) noise, (particulary noticable at low revs).
I happens in bpw 2 and 4wd.  And it only happens whilst acclerating, if you take your foot off the pedal the noise stops instantly

Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be?

I want to sell my sammy and get a vitara (sidekick to you guys on that side of the pond!)  And dont think it will sell very easily making this noise!

Thanks guys i look forward to your responces!

Roeman :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 09:24:56 AM by roeman »
1994 sammy
1995 Vitara 16v

Offline Gary_Hill

Re: Whine in gear
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 01:18:46 AM »
Pilot bearing or front bearing in the tranny is my guess. Load stress while accellerating creats more preasure on those two bearings.

Offline roeman

• 1994 sammy!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 04:58:56 AM »
Yeh could be,

I think il take it to a garage on monday and see what they say,

:)
1994 sammy
1995 Vitara 16v

Offline Gary_Hill

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 03:33:15 PM »
They will say you need a new trans or clutch or both and there are no parts sources for these Suzukies,  so they cant help you.  Or if they can get parts from Japan it will take a lot of money and time. The will say they can't be sure what is making the noise untill they take everything apart...which is bunk.

Here is what happened last time your clutch was replaced.  Someone cleaned the bellhousing with Gunk or some other degreaser and ruined the front trans bearing. Or the pilot bearing wasn't replaced.

Keep looking untill you find a shop that knows what a ZUK is. But if you are going to drive Suzukis : Sam, Track/Kick or Vit you will need to get a shop manual and learn how to fix it yourself. We love these rigs because they are fairly simple to work on. Basic tools/skills and a good manual will fix most things. You can always ask for help here. These guys love helping those who are willing to get in there and get greasy.

Offline ZeusZuki

• I like em low with big feet. New Zealand.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 01:45:47 AM »
Next time you are out driving listen VERY carefully and let us know where the sound is coming from - gearbox / clutch, transfer box or rear differential. It could be any of these. Got any water in the rear end, or any of the above? Bearings make a hell of a whine when they have gone through the hardening >:(
Sometimes it can be just one offending bearing ( but you ALWAYS replace them all ) ;)

Oh yeah - Vits aren't any different, they have the same basic formula as Sammies :-\

Zeus
1600 Escudo / Kick, beam front, coils all round, 37 MTR's, 97" wheelbase, locked fr & rr,twin stick, front stock ratio, Calmini 5.14 t box rear, Warn XD9000i winch, blah blah!

2.0 V6 auto, Calmini 3" kit, 33" jandles, LT struts, blah blah

2.5 V6 man GV, Calmini 2.5" kit, 235/85x16 jandle