Hello Guest

realistic motor options

• 8 Replies

Offline budzooka

realistic motor options
« on: August 11, 2005, 09:48:23 PM »
Hey guys and Ladies, I want to put in a motor with some jam, I plan to do a spoa lift and go with 31`s on my 1987 long wheel base samurai and I would like to do a motor swap at the same time. the auto wreckers here want $1200.00 for a 1.6 with 60,000 km on it and I would think for that kind of money I could get more horsepower and cheaper replacement parts going with something else. any ideas would be appreciated. I am in Canada and that may give me some options unavailable in other countries and limit me from some other options too. Thank you , dave.

Offline zaggy

Re: realistic motor options
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 09:53:22 PM »
Hey Dave

I'm in Canada, Alberta.......check out the pages we have been going through a bunch of performance and swap talk here lately.
     "do it yerself engine build" and lots of talk about 2.0l swaps and turbo's

Welcome to the site.........

Zag

92 Sidekick 4dr, Suzuki Powered Airplane

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 05:52:23 AM »
...and I would think for that kind of money I could get more horsepower and cheaper replacement parts going with something else...

You can get a bit more our of a 1.3 with headers, exhaust and carb mods.  Gearing can help the driveability, too.

But nothing beats a bigger engine!

After going through the "add a header, bigger exhaust" phase, I finally broke down and bought a remanufactured 1.6 8-valve.  It turned out that I was able to keep the previous mods with the bigger engine, but the most impressive performance change was the new engine.  It cost more, but I saved a lot (and learned a lot) installing it myself.

If you can do-it-yourself and can find a decent engine at the wrecking yard you can save some money AND learn a lot.  Although there are a number of bigger engines that have been installed in a Samurai, the clear favorite is the 1.6 16-valve (lots of aftermarket install kits and FUEL INJECTION! Great on the trail!) followed by the 1.6 8-valve.

Check out the vendors on the homepage of this site for more info on swap kits.

check out http://members.cox.net/aftermarket4x4/ for information on swapping the 2.0L engine.

Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline zaggy

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 06:39:59 AM »
Put it in perspective

Stock 1.3/8v..................................65hp
Stock 1.6/8v..............................................80hp
1.6/8v w header/exhaust/cam/weber.................90-95hp

So 50% more power in rough terms

If you are handy, do some fabricating, get a good used engine you could do it for less than
you are being quoted out in BC.

Zag
92 Sidekick 4dr, Suzuki Powered Airplane

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 06:45:30 AM »
Another way to score an engine may be to find a cheap (possibly wrecked) tracker/sidekick/sunrunner and then take the engine+ECM+harness from it, sell off the tranny, tcase, axels. You could get about $400 usd for the bits you sell of, so a cheap/wrecked runner for $800 usd (or less) gets you a fairly inexpensive motor.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline LawDog

• Lakeview Motor Sports' Makin it Hert! Tell u whut!
    • Emerling Chevrolet
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 07:41:53 AM »
I've got a 472 Cadillac mill if you're interested ;D But seriously, I did a 16V swap on mine and I wouldn't want anything else man.  My man Log has an 8V in his and is happy with the power too though.  I'm assuming that because you list the motor in km's that the $1200 is CDN correct?  If so that's like 950 US, which is still a tad strong.  If you really wanna do it, hang out for a donor kick.  A real pile that you can pick up for a grand or less.  Then you have all the parts you need for a swap readily available.
"I'm the Law 'round here" said the Duckshirt.

Get a Zuk, Get it dirty, Git-R-Done!!

At Lakeview Motor Sports we specialize in rediculousness, hackdome, and wasting your time.

Offline chet

• Zuki time!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 09:36:47 AM »
if that $1200 is for a 16V with harness and computer its not that bad actually. Make sure it runs first though. Get all the acc. with it as well. Alt and PS pump.

Also check bc4x4 as the 8V come up pretty cheap on there every once in while.
1991 4 door kick, 2" coil spacers, 30" Coopers, winch, locker, rust, dents, etc.

Offline rkteckt

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 05:39:42 PM »
A couple of months back i saw some 1.6 16v engines on ebay.....they were offered thru an importer who brought them in from japan with medium miles on them.  They were 585 bucks plus shipping.
1991 samurai , Mall Crawler, neon green, YJ lift, Wifes vanity plates.
1988.5 tintop too many mods to list. The work samurai.
2005 Avalanche Z71
2003 Matrix XRS
1993 sidekick 4dr 2wd donor thats too nice to destroy yet. 1992 Toyo Pup POS

Offline adamd

• sofa king we todd it
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 06:34:55 PM »
Quad four chevy engine, or a z24 engine... dunno if they are the same...
'98 kick
3" B/l
30" Mud Kings