Hello Guest

Bad OME strut

• 8 Replies

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
Bad OME strut
« on: September 08, 2005, 09:58:06 AM »
While working on the front suspension of the Goblin today, I discovered that the left front OME strut has gone bad in less than 2 months! :o And I didn't even jump this rig or pound on it too badly, either!

When I grab the top of the body, where the shaft comes out, and push it back and forth, it has something like 1/2" of play in it. :o Bummer!

ARB USA told me they are under warranty for 2 years and sold me a new one to replace the bad one with, then when I send in the bad one, they'll inspect it and refund my money if it is indeed defective. I understand why they do this, but it's still a nice chunk of change that I have to do without until they decide to refund my money. Shoot, that much money is almost 3 tanks of gas for the Goblin! LOL!

Anyone else running OME stuff ever had any problems?  How about the struts, anyone else ever had any go bad like this?
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline Mythose

Re: Bad OME strut
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 10:50:34 AM »
you should have beet on it a bit, lol maby it got depressed ???
All things must start and end, the key is to not let them start and end in the same place.

Other rigs, 84 Sub 305 High output dana 44 front dana 60 rear turbo 350 tranny, 205 gear drive transfer, 10" lift 38.5 swampers

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• Redline... all the time!
    • www.rpm4x4.com
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 02:55:19 PM »
While working on the front suspension of the Goblin today, I discovered that the left front OME strut has gone bad in less than 2 months! :o And I didn't even jump this rig or pound on it too badly, either!

When I grab the top of the body, where the shaft comes out, and push it back and forth, it has something like 1/2" of play in it. :o Bummer!

ARB USA told me they are under warranty for 2 years and sold me a new one to replace the bad one with, then when I send in the bad one, they'll inspect it and refund my money if it is indeed defective. I understand why they do this, but it's still a nice chunk of change that I have to do without until they decide to refund my money. Shoot, that much money is almost 3 tanks of gas for the Goblin! LOL!

Anyone else running OME stuff ever had any problems?  How about the struts, anyone else ever had any go bad like this?

2 year warranty! Damn, I guess I should have kept my recipt. I was close to 2 years but mine definatly sustained a little abuse and about 70,000 miles. :P That is the same way mine failed though. I noticed it the day after a nasty landing.  :-X

Mike
If your not living life to the fullest then your not living at all.

You wont really know if your wrong till your upsidedown

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 12:32:06 PM »
Did you put in another one or go with something different?
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• Redline... all the time!
    • www.rpm4x4.com
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 08:27:25 PM »
I put a pair of used stock struts in for the last event and was very disapointed. I didnt realize how much better the ome's handled. those stock struts are already smoked. :-[ Im either going to buy another set of OMEs or i have something else up my sleeve but that might be a future Zukiworld artical.  :-X If I decide not to do it I will give details on what I have on paper and pics of a rough prototype.

Mike
If your not living life to the fullest then your not living at all.

You wont really know if your wrong till your upsidedown

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 10:15:17 PM »
Just wanted to add an update. I got the new strut, put it in and sent the blown one back to ARB USA for inspection. I hadn't heard anything for a couple weeks, then yesterday a refund check showed up in the mail. I guess they determined that the strut was defective and they honored the warranty. I'm happy with this outcome and I wanted to share the news of good service with everyone. ;D

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 12:34:57 PM »
I'm glad it was sorted out for you.  I should have run downstairs and written "Digger really digs" on the box before it left here...

I bet you i could find your old one in the trash down there.
1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 12:40:57 PM »
What, you work there? Even if you could find my old one, it wouldn't be worth much, it was pretty trashed. Although if you wanted to find and send it back to me, I'll autograph it for you and send it back! LOL! So, do you get a discount? ;) LOL!

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 04:03:49 PM »
Yeah, i work here.  i get as many old trashed ones as i want...  which is worth a flip.

The only discount i get is for my own personal vehicle.  I get all the cool info like spring rates, and crap like that.  I even know the secret that makes an OME shock better than the rest, but no one is allowed to know that one...

If only we'd get more defective sidekick or samurai lockers in....  the damn things just don't fail for sidekicks or sami's that we never get them back.  It's always dana 30's and 35's that get sent back cause bozo's can't install them correctly.  Now a refurb locker is a good deal, but like i said, it never happens.
1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com