Hello Guest

2door vs 4door

• 8 Replies

Offline Dihnekis

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
2door vs 4door
« on: September 24, 2005, 02:02:16 PM »
After my wreck I've basically committed to giving up on my current tracker and trying to find a new one... I've ran into a few 4 doors, and absolutely zero 2 doors (4x4 of course). At first I was really turned off, because I love having a convertible top and the smaller car... but now I'm starting to think maybe I should go for a 4 door. What do you guys with 4 doors think about them compared to 2 doors for off road use? Can all of the same lifts be used on them?
1988 Suzuki Samurai

31" BFGs, SPOA, 5.14 Calmini Tcase gears, DOM cage, rock sliders, spidertrax wheels

1.6L, header, and 2" flowmaster exhaust coming soon

Offline Memphis

• Need a Rig
Re: 2door vs 4door
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 02:52:03 PM »
Slightly longer wheel base is always helpful  ;D

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 05:01:34 PM »
the thing I like about my 4dr is the lack of wind noise from the softtop (I own a 96 Tracker)...

Then there is the extra room to carry stuff...

The ride is a lot better...

Bigger front disk brakes...

I have a Samurai to drive if I want to go offroading (or otherwise abouse my 55-year-old body) and the '93 4-door 'Kick for the creature comforts...

I haven't put any effort into finding out what fits although there is something different about it to the extent that there is a different version of aftermarket front bumper for a 4-door.

One way to check ot the differences is to visit the vendor sites (on the homepage here at ZukiWorld) and see if there are different versions of lifts, body armor, etc.

Someday, I'll convert the 4-door.  But anytime soon! ;D 

Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 05:34:07 PM »
The suspension appears to be basically the same. The frame is about 10 inches longer between the front and rear wheels and about 5 inches longer behind the rear wheels. The front and rear frame bulkheads/frame horns are different between the 2 and 4 door models, so different bumpers are needed if replacing them. The 4 door coil springs are about 50 pounds stiffer rate than the 2 doors. The 4 doors have bigger gas tanks and a longer range because of it. The 4 doors are heavier, but also ride nicer. The extra length in wheelbase can be a good thing in hill climbing ability, but a bad thing in getting high-centered where a 2 door might not. There is also more of a rear overhang on the 4 doors, meaning lower departure angle which could snag a rock as you drop off of it...
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline chet

• Zuki time!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 07:55:54 PM »
I have owned 2 doors, samurais and nowa  4 door I will never go back to a 2 door (well maybe a s a fun vehicle. I have AC, cruise, PW and a fairly quiet interior and its still smaller than almost any other 4x4 out there! I can fit me, wife, 2 dogs and all our camping gear too!
1991 4 door kick, 2" coil spacers, 30" Coopers, winch, locker, rust, dents, etc.

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 09:15:31 PM »
I have a 2dsr convert and a 4dr.
Love'em both ;D
 yes, it does suck not being able to take the top off the 4dr.
But.
I was thinkig of one of those Huge canvas sunroofs.
Big enough to make you feel like you still have a convertable.
BUT, I think it would tear if a branch hit.

Back to the subject.
I like my 4dr cause I took the back seat out and have lots of extra room for hauling,
and sleeping in.
Bought a dresser today and hauled it home.
Can't do that in my 2dr. ;)
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 09:27:38 PM »
I've hauled home a full size washing machine in my 2 door... ::)

Of course it was november, cold and I had to remove the rear section of the hardtop to fit it in the back... ::) LOL!!! ;D
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline dwcrisp

• 98 Tracker 2dr, 1 1/2" spacer lift, 30X9.5 BFG MTs
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 09:33:54 AM »
If you are set on a soft top then I would be patient and wait till you find what you are looking for.  It will come along. 

My 2 cents worth otherwise is that the 2 door with upgrades for off road such as oversize tires and lifts etc is not as good over the road daily driver and I would bet that a 4 door is much better in that department with all of the other off road capability bieng equal to the 2door soft top.

The only disadvantages I can see to a 4 door otherwise would be that the 4 door is heavier so in our Florida sandy mud conditions it would tend to dig in more than the 2 door when hitting trails that are wet with ruts, muddy sand, pudlles etc.  My 2 door soft top really stays on top of most of our trail conditions.  Also I imagine the 4 door has somewhat lower fuel economy due to size and weight with same engine and drive train.

Offline Hawklin

• If it cant be fixed with Duck Tape it aint broke
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 12:14:37 PM »
heh Digger sounds like me, when I was remodeling our old bathroom I decided to put in a big 60inch shower in it and went and picked it up in the Tracker. ;D but I did have to take the top off...and use rope...lots of rope.
Rob Cross
90 Tracker (sold :()
91 Toyota 4x4 bone stock other than a redneck lift(cranked T bars and a block in the rear) on 35's