Hello Guest

Crank Pully Gone Bad

• 1 Replies

Offline whitfield

• 4-dr Kick on 34's
Crank Pully Gone Bad
« on: October 03, 2005, 07:50:22 PM »

JB Weld to correct the damaged keyway and some Loc-tite 609 on the crank shaft to Lower timing pully mating surface. 

Loc–Tite # 609, Cylindrical Type ( Green ) high viscosity / high temperature, and # 680, medium viscosity / high strength. This is used when you must fill and ‘ voids ‘ or wear on a shaft when mounting a gear or pulley. It is usually not necessary to use any heat on this type to make it release. Remember to clean the oil off the mating parts before using Loc–Tite. Acetone or plain alcohol usually works well.

Looking into possibly drilling and taping the (Crank / pully) mating area opposite the keyway and adding a set screw to take some of the load from the key.

For now I'll probally just stick with the JB and Loc-tite.  My machinist friend with the Kick on 36's just made this repair on his kick and said no need to add the Set screw.

I took 12 different pictures of the dammage these were the only two that turned out. 

The crank key way is egged out toward the mushroomed key.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 07:53:16 PM by whitfield »
Old Dog looking to learn some new tricks. 

Offline zuki4fun

• luv machine
Re: Crank Pully Gone Bad
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 08:06:27 PM »
I had the same thing happen to me. but i went and bought a new crank witch i was screwed on the price but thats not the bad part put it all back together and blew a oil pump and recked the whole top end so now im shhhh.....t out of luck and looking for a motor and spend more money. but im still wheeling with my sammy but it anit the same as the old side trac. hey wonder if jb weld would work for a kocking noice and a oil light (lol)