Hello Guest

1996 Tracker 4D

• 1 Replies

Offline Nonnie

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
1996 Tracker 4D
« on: February 02, 2016, 07:40:14 PM »
Runs great however a tapping noise when it first starts running. I checked for loose belts plus a smell like burning oil but no leaks anywhere. I checked the lines, looked underneath for leaks all dry. Any suggestions as to what to do next I will appreciate it. The tapping noise stops but when idle you can hear it too.

Offline BRD HNTR

Re: 1996 Tracker 4D
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 08:44:49 AM »
The tapping noise is PROBABLY your lifters, they may need to be adjusted.  If your motor is stock, it uses a Belt to drive the valve train.  (FYI, On much later models they changed to using a chain with a tensioner to drive the valve train, and when the tensioner sticks or guides are badly worn, the chain has a tendency to break.  On those with chain drive when the rattle doesn't go away quickly it is a warning to change the chain and tensioner. It is not so with belt driven valve trains.)
On your 96 model, the timing belt does need to be changed out around 60,000 miles.  So if you do not know when/if the belt has been changed and mileage is over 60,000 miles it would be something to consider as needing to be done.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.