Hello Guest

98 Chevy Tracker Fr Wheel Bearing Replacement???

• 2 Replies

Offline zukisuzi

98 Chevy Tracker Fr Wheel Bearing Replacement???
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:01:46 AM »
I've had several Samurais, but am pretty new to TracKicks. I have a bearing noise starting on the pass side front. Good time for a brake job as well. Anyway, once the brakes, locking hub, etc. are removed, the bearing/hub retaining crap looks nothing like the (Chilton's) manual shows. It's not the four-screws-into-the-bearing-lockplate like everything I've seen shows. I am attaching a pic of mine. If someone can just point out why I'm a moron for not figuring this out, that's OK! It looks like the retainer should unscrew, but I don't see how this setup can lock the bearing load setting... Thanks in advance for any help! This tired 3rd shifter is headin' for the bed soon!

Scott

"I was so poor growin' up, if I wasn't a boy I'd've had nothin' to play with..."
--Rodney Dangerfield

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
Re: 98 Chevy Tracker Fr Wheel Bearing Replacement???
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 10:45:36 AM »
need a more angled shot, I can't see what you got there, but you are
not a moron, that looks nothing like the wheel bearing lock nut I have.

I would be looking for a tab that bends over to lock the nut, or some
other locking device, and it looks like you need a spindle nut socket for
that front, or the old cold chisel

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline zukisuzi

Re: 98 Chevy Tracker Fr Wheel Bearing Replacement???
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 05:25:04 AM »
I got a reply elsewhere that I need a socket for a later model Tracker than the one shown in my manual. (The socket with four tabs for the lockplate with the 4 screws) This socket has a series of  tabs that catch the outer ring of notches in this retaining ring, or whatever it's called. I guess with the high torque these are set to, they hold the position on the fine threads. That's what was weird to me, no tabs or anything to stop it from moving. I saw the torque was 155 ft/lbs, if I remember right, so I don't want to try a punck or chisel on it. I'll post a pic of the tool. I'm heading out to find one now, hopefully to rent.
Thanks for the help & have a good'n'!      8)

Scott

"I was so poor growin' up, if I wasn't a boy I'd've had nothin' to play with..."
--Rodney Dangerfield