Hello Guest

rear brake drum removal questions.

• 21 Replies

Offline airmanwilliams

rear brake drum removal questions.
« on: May 24, 2010, 07:56:23 AM »
can anyone help me figure out how to take these rear brake drums off? I took the wheel off, took the inner four nuts and split washers off. There are also I believe three screws that I think need to come out but they are so rusted it looks like they are fused to the drum so hopefully I can borrow a neighbors power drill and use my grabber bits to pull them out after soaking them with kroil.

oh I also found that trailgear has some cheap rotors and pads im gonna get but is there a good cheap place to get drums and shoes? I just want to replace every rusted and beatup part now when im not driving it so that when I license it I wont have any problems to screw with.
1993 4door Suzuki Sidekick JX

Bobthebiker

Re: rear brake drum removal questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 08:33:39 AM »
trust me, I made myself look dumb when I first did this,   make SURE your parking brake is released.   I cant begin to say how much time I wasted trying to get the wheel off until that light came on in my mind.

in the Samurai FSM theres a special drum removal tool actually that you use I believe with  a slide hammer to remove the drum.

Offline airmanwilliams

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 08:39:44 AM »
yup I actually just downloaded a big shop manual and it showed that tool with the sliding hammer.
 so in order to take it off I need that special tool?
man I remember a few years back when I had an 86 camaro and how easy it was on that, all I needed to do is hit it all around to loosen then hit the back of it and I could take it off. That was the same on my parents two windstars also.

Bobthebiker

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 09:26:39 AM »
Well, You dont NEED that tool, but I do believe it makes the job a whole lot easier.   Mine the drum just slid off nice and easy like because well, god only knows.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 10:43:17 AM »
Sometimes you can just hit around the drum brake with a rubber hammer, or tap it with a regular one.  Just keep working around and it will eventually pull off.

The 3 screws are for an extra dust shield, you can leave them in place.  I made the mistake of pull thing them off once when I was in the same position as you.  :D

If you need a slide hammer but don't want to purchase one you might want to check with your local auto part store and see if they have a tool rental policy.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline airmanwilliams

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:50:23 AM »
thanks drone once it stops snowing here I will head out and try doing that again with a rubber mallet, if I dont have to take those screws out to get the drum off thats great but I may end up doint that anyways if I am replacing the drums so I can keep the shield for the new brakes.

Offline doughboy0379

• Blinker fluid is free so use it........
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 12:01:42 PM »
I could be wrong but I think even the new drums have the shield in place too, as for getting them off last time i did it I just beat them off but if you can get a slide hammer but a small chain over the bolts and tighten the nuts back on (lug bolts are strong enough for this) then but the slide hammer through the center link on chain and go to town with it lol
86 Samurai, SPOA, 3" HD leaf springs, 31/10.5/15 Big-O XT Tires, K&N Air Filter, Doug Thorey Header, more coming when I find the funds :)

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 12:08:29 PM »
After you take the 4 center nuts and washers off, put the tire and wheel back on the drum, then take a big hammer and smack the backside of the tire, spin the tire 180* and smack it again.....keep doing this and the drum should eventually pop off.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline airmanwilliams

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 12:16:27 PM »
that sounds like a great idea to put the tire back on and hit it thank you.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 12:28:51 PM »
that sounds like a great idea to put the tire back on and hit it thank you.

Just be careful, because you usually have to be under the vehicle a little bit to get into position to hit the tire.....so just pay attention that the vehicle doesn't fall off the blocks or jackstands.
If you have an old wheel around, that works even better.....you don't get the "bounce" like you do when you hit the tire....but hitting a wheel with a hammer can bend it....that is why I said old wheel.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline airmanwilliams

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 12:30:07 PM »
thanks I will be careful and will try a rubber mallet first.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 02:17:52 PM »
Where the heck are you that it's still snowing? Oh, and a slide hammer is a good tool to own if you plan on building up your tool set. Harbor Frieght has them pretty cheap.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline airmanwilliams

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 02:32:16 PM »
around salt lake city, utah  Im really starting to hate the snow now. I never grew up with it really on the oregon coast which had it last at the longest a couple days maybe then I movedto utah 2 years ago and found out it snows forever.

Bobthebiker

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 02:48:05 PM »
That wheel trick is a good one,  I gotta go find a bent rim at LKQ now for this application.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 04:01:19 PM »
around salt lake city, utah  Im really starting to hate the snow now. I never grew up with it really on the oregon coast which had it last at the longest a couple days maybe then I movedto utah 2 years ago and found out it snows forever.

Yeah, it's not unusual to get snow up in the higher elevations near the mountains in the spring. I used to live in Colorado, on the front range and we loved it when it snowed in the spring, skiing in shorts! It'll stop soon enough.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER