Please login or register. July 23, 2014, 11:04:18 AM

Author Topic: Tracker wont start  (Read 655 times)

Offline csuthrower04

• Technical Prestige 0
  • ZUKIWORLD Online!
Tracker wont start
« on: July 28, 2013, 01:42:30 PM »
I was reading some other posts on here that were similar to my issue but I didn't want to confuse anybody so here is my issue.The other day I was driving down the road at about 40mph and my 1998 tracker just shut down.  I pulled over to the side and tried to restart it but the battery didn't have enough juice to do anything.  Thinking that was the problem I tested the battery which was no longer any good.  Upon replacing the battery, the engine will turn over but wont crank.  I have recently installed a new stereo added a body lift about 100 miles ago.. I know those upgrades sound silly to mention but I want to rule anything out..... Any advice would be great as I am a novice, but am determined to use my tracker to gain more automotive repair knowledge.

Offline Joe Llamahead

• Technical Prestige 9
Re: Tracker wont start
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 10:13:13 PM »
When you say " wont crank" you mean it wont start?

Offline csuthrower04

• Technical Prestige 0
  • ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 06:15:17 AM »
yes. 

Online fordem

• Enthusiast Contributor
  • Technical Prestige 95
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 06:35:25 AM »
We're going to have confusion if we're not all "on the same page" - if the engine is turning over, it's cranking - but from the sound of it, it's not starting.

Check the basics - air/fuel/fire - crank the engine over a few times and then pull a spark plug - is it wet, can you smell gas?  Ground the plug against the head and have someone crank the engine whilst you watch - does it spark?

Does the CEL (check engine light) come on when you switch on the ignition?
'98 2.0 Grand Vitara

Offline csuthrower04

• Technical Prestige 0
  • ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 07:05:49 PM »
engine is turning over but not starting up.  I checked for fuel, fire, and spark and they are all a go.  The check engine light does come on when the key is turned to the "on" position

Offline csuthrower04

• Technical Prestige 0
  • ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 05:23:21 PM »
Ok, so I am gonna contradict myself and say that I believe I am having a fuel delivery problem.  When turning the key, I can smell gas. Does this mean that my fuel pump is working, and if so what should my next step be?

Online ranger88den

• Technical Prestige 7
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 07:54:28 AM »
Will it start (run a little) with test fuel?  If so, test the fuel pressure.

Online fordem

• Enthusiast Contributor
  • Technical Prestige 95
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 08:54:45 AM »
It might mean that you have no spark - which was one of the questions asked earlier - it could also mean the engine is flooded (a possibility because of a no spark situation) or that you have a leak in the fuel system.
'98 2.0 Grand Vitara

Offline Warn Industries

• Aftermarket Vendor
  • Technical Prestige 12
    • WARN.com
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 10:16:07 AM »
FWIW, when I first got my Sidekick and did plugs, wire, cap, rotor, it wouldn't start. It'd crank, but would never catch (e.g. run). I checked everything. I did get a CEL, which I checked the code for. It was an ignition issue. I found out that one of the wires to the ignition coil had come loose. Made sure it was attached properly and haven't had an issue for years.

- Andy
GO PREPARED! www.WARN.com
Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/WARNfans
Follow us on Twitter: Twitter.com/WarnIndustries