Hello Guest

Odd pulsation at 35

• 8 Replies

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Odd pulsation at 35
« on: April 05, 2018, 10:44:31 AM »
My tracker is making an odd pulse at specific speed of like 28-35 mph.  I feel it in my lumbar and it feels like a fwd/rev power pulsing. It’s quite odd.  Doesn’t happen at higher speeds.  Not really a vibration more like a rhythmic pulse.  Any ideas?   I’ve tugged on all the joints and wheel bearings and I’ve unlocked the front hubs to manual. 
2003 Suzuki tracker 4d 5sp 2.0 “piglet”
Deleted air 4wd system, Manual hubs, 2” lift, 235/75,

Old ride: 1997 X90 “jellybean” best lil car I’ve ever had

Re: Odd pulsation at 35
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 11:28:46 AM »
Look up u-joint oscillation.  I am not sure if it is the cause.

My previous rig did the same thing.  It would start low and gradually increase in amplitude.  The rig would basically bounce up and down. My shocks were much softer in that rig. My new one doesn't do it as much.

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 12:31:37 PM »
So you’re saying this is inherent to joint driveshafts and it’s not a problem?

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 04:40:43 AM »
I will let someone else chime in on that question.  It happens in different vehicles too.  I don't know at what point it should be considered a problem.

It may just be the shocks combined with the driveline angle.  My new rig doesn't do it, but my shocks are stiffer.

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 09:08:04 PM »
Interesting.  Can’t say I’ve ever noticed it in a vehicle before but that is what it feels like.  Maybe my joints are going bad but they pass the driveway tug n twist test.  Doesn’t seem to always do it either. 

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 03:58:25 PM »
When mine started doing it I searched for what it could be.  It seems to be an issue with certain full size trucks too.  I read about issues on all the major trucks.

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 08:13:29 AM »
I would check the u-joints.  Do you have any kind of clunk especially when stopping in the middle and taking off again?  It is easier to notice in automatics because you can find it by shifting directions on the flat.  When U-joints get really bad the broken up rollers can jam the other bearings making a twist/tug test inaccurate.  4 bolts to pull the driveline and really check them out.  (if you have much lift you may not even need to jack it to do it.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 09:03:07 AM »
No clunks at all and smooth at all speeds except that 25mph and only sometimes.  I’ll get around to pulling the prop shaft but it’s not a priority right now.  I’ll wait until I’m on side of road long way from home to move it up the list. 

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 10:31:12 AM »
Samurai?

You may be experiencing the first stages of death wobble...

Drivelines maybe as well... Not a 'twist' test but look to see if the caps are discolored, there is any shininess like they've spun, do side to side 'wiggling' of each joint area.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!