Hello Guest

Rear suspension coils.

• 4 Replies

Offline greyowl07

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Rear suspension coils.
« on: May 06, 2018, 12:58:58 AM »
I have a Suzuki Sidekick 96 (4drs) with a 2" Calmini suspension kit. I need to replace the rear coils. Found 2 coils made for the Sidekick, the EMU 1.25" (model 2955 spring rate 200lbs) & the Alteredego zuki coil 3" lift. Spring rate for Calmini & Zuki not available. Which would work best, be a better fit with my suspension kit?

Online fordem

Re: Rear suspension coils.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 08:22:57 AM »
I think this question has been asked before, and answered in some detail.

Simplifying things greatly - you have a 2" lift - if you fit rear springs intended for a 1.25" lift (and as I mentioned in the other thread, OME does not market their springs as providing a specific amount of lift), then the back of your car will be lower than it should be - if you fit rear springs intended for a 3" lift, then the back of the car will be higher than it should be.

How much lower (or higher) will depend on a number of variables, for example, how much load you have in the vehicle, and how much load the springs were designed to handle (OME specifies their springs based on "intended additional load" - or - the load you intend to add over the vehicles' "normal" loading).

Perhaps another option would be stock replacement springs with spacers from a 2" spacer lift - at least in theory, you'll get the same amount of lift that you had with the Calmini springs.

Question - are you replacing the rear springs because they are broken or because they are sagging?  If they are sagging what is the likelihood that the front coils may also be sagging and also need replacement?

Selecting replacement front coils would present more of a challenge because the Calmini kits come with replacement arms which adds another degree of variability to the equation.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline greyowl07

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 10:00:29 PM »
Thanks for replying. I'm somewhat unable to decide between the two coils as neither Calmini or Alteredego would give out the spring rate of their coils. Don't quite understand why. And as you have already mentioned, spring rate is the figure that matters when it comes to choosing a coil. A 3" lift coil with a soft spring rate would cause for poor road handling, I have a two hr highway drive prior to reaching an off road. By posting here I was hoping someone who had replaced his 2" coil with one of the above would comment on the ride performance. Will look closely at what you recommend & decide from there.

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 01:16:01 PM »
A 3" lift coil with a soft spring rate would cause for poor road handling, I have a two hr highway drive prior to reaching an off road.

Not necessarily - different manufacturers design with different goals in mind - one of my non Suzuki vehicles is a compact SUV, very similar in size and suspension design to your four door Sidekick - from the factory, it comes equipped with long soft springs, softer than your OE springs - and it is capable of surprising speeds on rough undulating terrain - the soft springs "soak up" the bumps, they must however be paired with appropriately valved shocks, otherwise the vehicle will ride like a boat.

The available lift springs for that vehicle are significantly stiffer and the ride is no where near as comfortable.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline greyowl07

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 10:26:24 AM »
Ride comfort is not a primary concern at the moment. Coils that match well with the present shocks & do not adversely affect handling are more of a concern. Will probably come down to which coil is more available.  Will reply back here once coil is installed & tested, to provide suspension related info. Thanks again.