Hello Guest

The snap ring from hell -- Input gear on 4.24 case gears

• 1 Replies

Offline thebanjoman

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
The snap ring from hell -- Input gear on 4.24 case gears
« on: January 06, 2018, 01:19:17 PM »
I'm having a hell of a time getting the snap ring out to remove the input gear from the front half of the housing during my 4.24 transfer case gear install.

The pliers keep slipping off the snap ring and I can't get it pinched in enough to get a pick under it to get it out.

Looks like it'll be a trip to the machine shop to and pay them to get it out.   I can't seem to find the trick to get it out.

Anybody done it and can share how they got it out?

Offline thebanjoman

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Re: The snap ring from hell -- Input gear on 4.24 case gears
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:40:46 PM »
I'm having a hell of a time getting the snap ring out to remove the input gear from the front half of the housing during my 4.24 transfer case gear install.

The pliers keep slipping off the snap ring and I can't get it pinched in enough to get a pick under it to get it out.

Looks like it'll be a trip to the machine shop to and pay them to get it out.   I can't seem to find the trick to get it out.

Anybody done it and can share how they got it out?

If you pull the seal and take the snap ring on the opposite side (snap ring opens out) you can push the  input gear out easily with a press,    Once the gear is out you can
then easily get the snap ring out, push out the bearing and then slide it over the new smaller input gear shaft and press it on. Then put the big snap ring back in place.

I took it to my local machine shop and my 3+ hours of 'cussing, throwing tools, and frustration' was for nothing.   They had it out in 3-5 minutes.

Now I can continue with reassembly. I was so afraid I would damage the aluminum casing by pressing the gear out but these guys were quick with no damage.