A Stadium Rock Sidekick On A Club Band Budget - Part 1.
Eric Bewley Story/Photo: Mike Hagen
COTTAGE GROVE, MN -How far can you go with a
Trackick? We thought this would be a good place to start exploring this question. Here is
a project that will hopefully open the minds of many and spawn, at the very least, health
discussion. All to often, I hear people saying, "Building an IFS car is too hard, too
time consuming, too expensive, and above all too weak." Are these ideas true? If so,
how far can you go with a Trackick? How capable and reliable can you make it without
changing out too many parts? This is what my friend Dan Bour and myself are going to try
and find out.
As with any project you should have goals
with your build so you dont get lost along the way. These are our three goals.
First, to prove that a Trackick IFS is
not hard to build and not time consuming to do we are going to try to build this whole rig
in just 7 days. These are not consecutive days since we have jobs, but 7 days nonetheless.
Second, to keep this project as cheap and
simple as possible without sacrificing performance. One way we plan to do this is to
retain most of the suspensions stock components and drive train. The only mods to the
drive train will be a front CV upgrade, lockers, and a 4 to 1 gear set.
Third, No frills like doors and heat!
Function only. We want to remove as much as possible leaving only whats necessary to
make the rig perform on the trail. We want to loose as much weight as possible to make
room for the necessities for the trail. This should help the stock drive train hold up to
the off road abuse we plan to inflict on this rig.
||At the beginning of day 2 we started frame
alterations. Our goal for the day was to be sitting on 35s by the end of the night. To
help make room for 35-inch tires without beating the wheel wells back, we decided to cut
and lengthen the frame 9 inches. Then we lowered the front 6 inches for a cheap 6-inch
lift. The reason for going 9 inches forward was so we could use a stock 4wd 2-door rear
drive shaft on the front without having a custom drive shaft made.
||Then we capped and plated the frame. Just to be
safe we added an additional support to the strut tower. Then we started to form some motor
||Next we cut 11 inches out of the tailgate and
welded it back together. Instead of making it functional we opted to weld into place for
better structural integrity. The taillights were cut just below the brake lights and
mounted. We often wheel at night and were concerned about trail safety
At the end of day 2 this is
what we had.
As you can see, Operation Rockstar is really shaping up. The
body lines are flowing nicely and will only be accented by the upcoming tube work. Click
here to join the Q&A Discussion on the ZUKIWORLD Forum.
TO BE CONTINUED...