• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: Trans-America Trail in a Sidekick
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 04:36:14 PM »
Very nice!

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 01:00:07 PM »
This was my first time to travel through Colorado.  Previously, I had only been to Denver for work or to catch a connecting flight.

Colorado was amazing, especially for a guy that grew up in the flat lands along the Texas coast.

I pushed through western Colorado and camped near Telluride.  The next few pics are from over Telluride on my way to Imogene Pass and the start of the trip down.  There was snow, over my head, on 23 July.  I had to turn back and find a new trail around some snow that I couldn't get over.

Imogene Pass is 13,114 feet. The view over Telluride is nice, but there are better views to come.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 05:54:57 AM by Ridjobradi »

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 11:37:57 AM »
I will have to compare the times between the pic and the GPS log. It was somewhere in Utah, getting close to Colorado. It took a few tries to get a decent pic from the window.

If you closely at one of the pics, you can see a crushed Suburban or something else from the '60s that went off the side if the road. 

I had to take a lot of pictures from the vehicle, or I couldn't have made much progress. The location tag wasn't working on my phone either.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 12:03:26 PM by Ridjobradi »

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 06:25:35 AM »
Cool pics man... where is the picture taken with the Mountain in the back ground and a switch back in the fore? I think I must go there!

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 05:03:43 PM »
The next few posts will be out of order from the previous few.  I had not had any time to resize and post pics from the next portion of the TAT.  I will add a few more segments of the trip, as time permits.

After breaking ranks with the Zukiworld team on July 5th. I left the rig at the Salt Lake City Airport for a few weeks. On my return, I drove through Moab and on to Colorado. I didn't have time play in Moab for long. It was also a very busy weekend there and I didn't want sit for very long.

Moab is a town surrounded by amazing views and plenty of off road fun.  The town has more SxS and Jeep rentals than I have ever seen.

After the Moab area, I drove on towards the Colorado border. The scenery changed noticeably as I got closer to Colorado.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 05:16:39 PM by Ridjobradi »

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 02:38:42 AM »
It's been a busy month, but the Sport has been sitting.  I developed a bad oil leak at the rear main seal, somewhere around the CO and OK border. 

Because this rig was new to me, I was checking the oil during fuel stops.  The oil had been good to go until the Oklahoma border. The transmission fluid had already gone from looking ok to looking like it had never been changed, even though the previous owner said it had been flushed a few days before I bought it.

I decided to pull off the trail and do the next 5 hours on pavement. It would have taken about 10 hours on the trail. There was also some extreme mud in Oklahoma and I was running just in front of a big thunderstorm. 

My son had just returned from deployment in the Middle East, so I was heading towards his house in OKC.   I dropped the rig off in his garage and started prepping for the repairs. I had to be at work in a few days, so the rig would have to wait. 

We started working on it over a week ago, but then Harvey entered the gulf and I went back home to prep for the storm.  I was able to get back to the Sport yesterday. It is back together, but I am waiting on replacement shocks after the manufacturer sent the wrong ones.

Now I have to leave again. It may be 6 weeks before I can get back on the trail.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 02:46:42 AM by Ridjobradi »

Offline duke45

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 11:05:15 PM »
I have only had it on pavement for a few tanks,so far. The mileage is 20 mpg on the highway.  The off pavement and off road driving that I have been doing gets me about 16 mpg.  We had one day of slow crawling in low gear, tree trimming, etc that I got about 8 mpg.

Sounds a great overall performance!

Online rasmeidirtrider

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 05:51:13 AM »
Thanks. That is a big impact!
'96 (07/95) US imported Sidekick Sport, 16V, 1.8L, 4 auto, 4x4, 4dr, A/C, ABS, 100K miles, VIN: JS3TD21V6T4101985, bone stock, except 215/70R/16.

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 04:26:40 AM »
I have only had it on pavement for a few tanks,so far. The mileage is 20 mpg on the highway.  The off pavement and off road driving that I have been doing gets me about 16 mpg.  We had one day of slow crawling in low gear, tree trimming, etc that I got about 8 mpg.

Online rasmeidirtrider

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 03:05:21 AM »
Thanks. What is about the mileage with these huge tires?
'96 (07/95) US imported Sidekick Sport, 16V, 1.8L, 4 auto, 4x4, 4dr, A/C, ABS, 100K miles, VIN: JS3TD21V6T4101985, bone stock, except 215/70R/16.

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 11:33:24 AM »
Having the additional ground clearance from the lift and larger tires has been important.  A lot of the TAT is relatively flat, but portions of it need lots of ground clearance.

The Sidekick has done well, with only a few issues. Some of the issues were my own doing, like improperly torqued bolts.  Others are wear and tear from the trail, caused by the lift.  This has resulted in me doing a walk around every morning or after particularly difficult trails.

Online rasmeidirtrider

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 01:45:56 AM »
How did the Sidekick Sports perform a long the way?

Offline duke45

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 01:28:24 AM »
That is a totally cool adventure!

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 11:20:22 AM »
Eric,

No problem.  Glad to share it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:25:28 PM by Ridjobradi »

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 11:09:46 AM »
Hey this is great Richard! I'd like to extract this when your done and make an article for the front page, with your permission of course.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online